Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve the look of these lights?

anjali
Getting Established

How to improve the look of these lights?

PXL_20210418_043750849.jpg

Hi Everyone,

So I'm my rental apartment that I moved into recently, there were really scary lamp shades off that looked like they would fall on my head and had these really sharp pointed ends. I had raised this concern with my property agent and the owner approved to take down the shades. I'm now left with 3 lights that look like the one in the attached image. They serve the purpose of lighting the space, but don't look appealing and my owner will not arrange for new shades. Do you have any suggestions to help me out ? Would really appreciate your thoughts especially inexpensive ideas. 😅

Regards,

Anj!

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Home improvement suggestion: Lighting

Anj 

There are lots of light fitting that don't require a sparkie at the simplest change the bulb for something like https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-led-light-globe-with-shade_p0097921 or cover it with a batten fix eg https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-led-light-globe-with-shade_p0097921 or a hanging light or simple cover https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-shade-batten-fix-hpm-250mm-traditional-white_p0101679. There are heaps of options in lighting at Bunnings. Make sure you get a diy one. Most of them are as simple as switch off the power at the power board, remove the light bulb, unscrew the white cover bottom piece that is on existing bayonet fitting place new shade piece in do the cover bottom piece back up to hold it in place, put new bulb in and turn power back on

JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @anjali,

@JDE has really hit the nail on the head with that advice. There are loads of D.I.Y. lighting options available that can be easily fixed to that bayonet fitting. Most of them work by using the collar of the fitting, which is currently holding the remnants of that light shade in place. Simply unscrew the white collar, and you'll be well on your way to installing a fixture of your choice. I've recently converted the same fitting you have by plugging in a suspension kit and adding a natural fibre shade. I've chosen to use a suspension kit on mine to drop them down away from the ceiling. This is purely for looks as it is something I prefer.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
anjali
Getting Established

Thank you so much! Such great and affordable ideas!!!

anjali
Getting Established

@JDE  and @MitchellMc thank you so much.. this is why I love the Bunnings community! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @anjali. I trust our other renting community members would appreciate seeing what you select. I've been renting for close to 20 years now, so I'm always thrilled to see what others can achieve in a rental property.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects