Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install floor leveller over slate tiles?

Sandirose
Just Starting Out

How to install floor leveller over slate tiles?

1000001299.jpg

Hi all, I have slate flooring in my lounge room. It is a sunken lounge so there are no doors or windows to worry about. I want to put floor leveller over it and use tiles or floorboards as the new covering. How thick should my floor leveller be. The slate floor is reasonably even. Just a couple of pits, but mostly good condition. Do I need to rough up the surface or just go straight over the top?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install floor leveller over slate tiles?

Hi @Sandirose,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

The advice that I've received from our suppliers is that due to slate's laminar nature, it is not advisable to apply self-levelling compound over slate floor tiles.

The best advice I can give you is to chip up the slate tiles using a rotary hammer drill and SDS chisel bits. The substrate would likely be level, but if it is not, you could use Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller following all manufacturer's instructions to create a nice flat surface to lay your new flooring over.

Please ensure that you wear all necessary personal protective equipment including eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, mask, enclosed shoes, long sleeved shirt and long pants.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob   

Thanks for the reply Jacob. I don't own a rotary hammer drill. But I'll see if I can hire one. 

Hi @Sandirose,

We do hire a rotary hammer drill through Coates hire. Book through your local Bunnings store, then pick it up from the Coates branch of your choice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects