Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install internal bi-fold doors to hide study nook?

cassi19
Getting Established

How to install internal bi-fold doors to hide study nook?

Hi there I would like to install bi fold doors to hide my work space which is a nook off my lounge. To avoid adding a frame and having to move electricals etc I want to bottom mount them only (so they won’t go all the way to the ceiling) and ideally attach to the wall at one side. I was looking at purchasing the Corinthian 820 x 2040 x 35 flush bi fold doors x 2 and joining them together so 4 panels in total (width of opening is 1645). I cannot see bunnings sell a track this length but do stock cowdray barracuda track system which is shorter in length and appears to be for top mounted doors. Would this track system still work if I flipped it to be bottom mounted and jointed two together, will it hold the weight of x 4 panels in total and can I attach the bi folds straight into a stud without adding a frame or extra strength to the wall? Also how would I attach the track to the floor? I believe I have floating laminate on top of a concrete slab which I’m a bit scared to drill in to! 

23F06780-C965-4A73-8F85-7BFD4CD574C1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to install internal bi fold doors to hide study nook

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cassi19. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I've heard of specifically designed bottom rolling bi-fold tracks before, but a top track still guides them to stop the doors from flopping around. If you were to join four panels without a top track, I'd imagine that the only thing holding them upright would be the hinges. I also don't believe the track and rollers will function correctly installed upside down. There is generally a lip that the rollers sit into, and they might bind up if they are trying to roll on the top of the track. Some rollers also have governors, which stop them from coming out of the track; I'll add an image below.

I believe an easier to achieve solution would be to run a single piece of Porta 90 x 45mm x 2.4m Standard And Better DAR Pine across the opening at the required height and securing it in the stud work. The track could then be fixed to it, allowing the doors to hang down as intended and function correctly. 

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if they would like to join the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's a tricky one to solve. If you have a bottom track it will be above floor level and create a tripping point. It would be better (safer, neater) to build a frame with Transom above the intended door (or take doors full height) and use a top guide as @MitchellMc has suggested. Alternatively, if it will only be closed occasionally, you could mount a small castor under each door to take its weight. Disdvantages: they would travel a bit messily (ok on occasional use), eventually mark the floor and will need magnetic, or similar, catches at the top to keep them straight when extended.

The hinges at the wall end will need to be well anchored and strong.

I wonder what other suggestions are offered??

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @cassi19 

I'm in agreement with both @MitchellMc 's and @TedBear 's assessment. Your suggestion of using a Corinthian bi-fold door will definitely work as they are within the weight rating of most common bi-fold track systems. I've drawn up a visual representation of what it might look like once it is assembled. I would probably suggest the Cowdroy 1830mm Triumph 4 Leaf Folding Door Track System https://www.bunnings.com.au/cowdroy-1830mm-triumph-4-leaf-folding-door-track-system_p3985128 you may have to do a bit of test and fit as you are putting it in a smaller opening that is rated for the track system. However that track system is built for 4 leaf panel arrangements.

Running it on the floor  with no top guide is not recommended as you will get what is known as the pendulum effect. Even though the doors are light even at 14 kgs. The doors will sway and drag the rest of the doors with it. Even if mounted to the sides with heavy duty hinges the doors at the front having no guide at the top will tip over. You could possibly split the doors instead of just having all four "leafs" to one side you could have 2 on each side. But you will still need a guide and @MitchellMc 's recommendation I would definitely go with that. I would probably just suggest to have another 90 x 45 at the back of the main piece in a horizontal position to prevent the main piece from bowing. Drilling in to the floating floor system is not recommended as they are in essence "floating" and move with the change of temperature. If they are fixed in one place you may get buckling and it will not look nice and possibly damage your floor. Please have a look at the sketch and if you have any questions please post and we will try to answer as best we can. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

cassi19bifold1.jpgAttached to the main 90 x 45 is another one but in a horizontal position. It also serves as a point for locking pins and bolts to prevent the doors from being opened.Attached to the main 90 x 45 is another one but in a horizontal position. It also serves as a point for locking pins and bolts to prevent the doors from being opened.The Cowdroy Triumph uses an off center pin system and allows the "leafs" to fold with ease.The Cowdroy Triumph uses an off center pin system and allows the "leafs" to fold with ease.cassi19bifold4.jpgWith the "leafs" folded they will occupy a space of about 140mm together.With the "leafs" folded they will occupy a space of about 140mm together.cassi19bifold6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Dah I tried to reply to your comment and don’t think it loaded! This is fantastic thank you. I’d have to have the leafs fold outwards not inwards as the closing point on the door side will need to be before the door as the door and opposite wall (that I’d be securing the doors too) are not equal. This why i have to have the leafs all fold open to one side. But I don’t see this being an issue? Also securing it “heavy duty” to the one side, would a running hinge in addition to the door hinges be sufficient to hold the weight or is there a better solution? Thank you so much again 

271A50EF-67F8-40E8-9DA5-1A4A04B135D9.jpeg

Hello @cassi19 

The Cowdroy track set comes with 2 brass pivot hinges that are to be mounted on the first leaf. It is usually secured to the top and bottom corner at the start of the run. You can download the assembly instructions from Cowdroy and investigate how it's done. Yes I agree I don't think it will be an issue with the leafs ending up before the door. If you would like a more accurate mock up. Please post the floor measurements with accurate positions of the door frame. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks red. Here’s a Birdseye view 

F3DFBE1D-5258-4481-8F9B-61302DEFC090.jpeg

Hello @cassi19 

I understand your idea much better now. Yes it will still work. You may have to store the chair out if the leafs are going to be that close to the bench top. I've redrawn the mock up and your measurements look spot on, but like all good diy jobs triple check your measurements before you order the leafs. As you are buying machine made doors they are square and perfect. Your wall may or may not be totally square. Make sure to put a level to your wall just to be sure. I've attached the drawings below and I hope they help.

Cheers,

Red

1Acassi19bifold.jpg1Bcassi19bifold.jpg1Ccassi19bifold.jpg

You’re help has been invaluable thanks Red!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects