Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install soft closing concealed hinges?

antothom
Getting Established

How to install soft closing concealed hinges?

Installing Hinges ( soft closing concealed hinges )

which wood is better ( Plywood or MDF ) ???

what thicknesses of wood are recommended ???

what is the best Tool for Hinge round cutting in the board ??

any recommended videos ??

Thanks in advance.....

antothom
Getting Established

Re: How to install soft closing concealed hinges?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kreg-concealed-hinge-jig_p0202868

is this a good tool or any other suggestions on a tool for hinge installation ????

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @antothom 

My apologies for the late reply. The Kreg Concealed Hinge Jig is an excellent tool and has good reviews by the customers who have purchased. It saves a lot of guesswork, and you can produce repeatable results for your hinge holes.

Depending on the project you are building, MDF and plywood are great for cabinetry. But MDF is more susceptible to water damage. I suggest using a minimum thickness of 16mm, make sure to adjust the jig so that you don't drill in too deeply. If you find that the timber is not thick enough, you can go up to the next thickness which is 18mm.

I also recommend getting a set of hinges you'll be using for your doors. In this manner you can measure and double check the dept of the hinges before you drill into the timber. I propose doing a few test-runs to make sure the depth is set correctly before you commit the actual door. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Kreg Concealed Jig

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
antothom
Getting Established

Thanks a lot... appreciated....

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects