Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount venetian blind inside window recess.

Steven
Cultivating a Following

How to mount venetian blind inside window recess.

6EE01113-ED74-4349-9A88-6EB1D37114E3.jpeg

8D96FE67-B2D1-481B-82EC-BE96AC5CC7CE.jpeg

F1DBABDD-BEF1-4C10-A5BD-E4A0BC8C7B2C.jpeg

C0FC3324-B076-468A-9A99-66A0B37EE2BC.jpeg

F72D73F0-1BDF-45F5-8AB1-EF434698BB40.jpeg

I purchased two 2.4m Faux Wooden Venetian blinds (60mm slats) to replace some ageing metal ones) my next dilemma is finding a suitable drill or drill attachment to mount the end brackets onto my steel lintel. 

Ideally the chuck and drill body need to be able to drill a vertical hole into the lintel with chuck & drill body attachment no greater than a diameter of 27mm (13.5mm from wall and hole Center) to facilitate the holes in the mounting bracket.

...see attached image for hole locations (currently lintels are being rust treated before mounting)

I can’t mount to wall sideways due to the strength of fastwall brick and some hole locations fall onto the thin aluminium window frame with even less tolerance to gain a horizontal hole from top of window opening. 

I’ve looked at numerous 90° offset drill attachments, either they are too large or don’t import to Au. 

The smallest I’ve found was 33mm but still to large to drill “straight” into a very hard 5mm thick lintel or a cheap motor and chuck that wouldn’t have enough power to complete the job.

Another option would be to mount to a wooden plank that I can pre drill before mounting to lintel; however this would add considerable cost, time & money and would be visible after mounting blind so not the ideal solution 

Can you tell me what you would use or do?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to mount venetian blind inside window recess.

@Steven I believe their intention is for you to use a extra long drill bit and a standard drill.

Standard chuck is around 40mm but that far back the hole will only be slightly off 90 degrees.

IMG_20200229_125508616.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Steven,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Great to see you get a prompt suggestion to your problem. Please let us know if you need any further advice and I will be more than happy to tag some other members for their thoughts. 

We trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our amazing community members. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steven
Cultivating a Following

2D6E6440-E2A1-4954-A19B-37521039A520.jpeg

37AC18F7-58D8-4D90-A631-5A87DB168356.jpeg

I’ve built myself a mini drill that perfectly aligns with the required hole positions, I’ll let you know if it can handle the tough lintel.

....Well things have progressed, I did a trial by drilling the first hole with success.

Only needed to do a modification to drill (shield) to stop metal shavings being attracted to the motors magnets and added a temporary on/off switch.

Will repurpose drill after completing this task and mount drill into a proper tube with built in switch.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Very impressive @Steven. I admire your ingenuity. Looking forward to seeing what you put your talents to next...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects