Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare before your first DIY Wood project?

JohnC5
Growing in Experience

How to prepare before your first DIY Wood project?

Hello, 

I am very new to woodworking or carpentry, thinking of doing few DIY projects, wondering if there are any online courses from bunnings or any other course which would help a beginner? 

Thanks

John

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to prepare before your first DIY Wood project

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your question @JohnC5.

It can feel overwhelming giving something new a go but you've come to the right place. We have loads of incredible woodworkers in the community who would be happy to give you pointers along the way.

We've also got plenty of step-by-step project guides on Workshop, and video tutorials shared by the Bunnings team, so there are easy ways to get started on a project.

What are you planning on making for your first wood projects? I'd be happy to help find a guide of interest.

You may also like to start by checking that you have the right tools for the job with these guides: Essential hand tools for D.I.Y. beginners and Essential power tools for D.I.Y. beginners and beyond.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to prepare before your first DIY Wood project?

Hi @JohnC5,

Great to see you are passionate about getting into woodworking. We have loads of experienced members who I'm sure would be happy to share their knowledge with you, including @woodalwaysworks@JDE@LePallet@Yorky88@r23on@Brad and @Poppop.

Unfortunately due to restrictions Bunnings is currently unable to run in-store classes for you to get hands-on the tools. We are certainly looking forward to providing this service again as soon as possible.

As Stevie mentioned, you might like to start here on Workshop by taking a look through our How To section as we have many easy-to-follow step-by-step articles labelled with their level of difficulty. Tackling a small project can really help build skills and confidence. Here's some helpful discussions to get you started:

Looking forward to seeing what you can create.

Jason

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @JohnC5 

The first question I would ask is what type of DIY projects are you wanting to do? It is here that will determine what tool/s you need and what information you need to research before starting as your projects may need more than woodworking knowledge and skills. As for tools many hand tools have multiple uses.

What are you considering to do?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JohnC5

Thank you for sharing your question about how to prepare for your first D.I.Y. project. 

Before cutting any of your materials, I recommend pen, paper, and a plan. If you plan out the parts you will need to assemble your project you will be able to put it together step-by-step. By imagining how your project is built, you can determine which part needs to be joined together first. You can now indicate on your plan how each part joins together and the sequence it needs to go into.

Planning your build is the best step you can take before beginning your project. However, even with great planning and care, errors sometimes happen. But the best part is that any error in your project can always be fixed. Once you have your plan in place, you can now take that first step to begin your project.

Look to those who have assembled before. There are many how-to videos online that can guide you and give you ideas and inspiration. If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

We look forward to seeing your project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects