Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare for floating floor?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to prepare for floating floor?

Good afternoon everyone. Could I please get your expertise with floating floors. 

House 1994

Living Room Refresh 

Ceiling and walls painted. Now it’s time to install those laminate timber floors. 

I have pulled out the old crappy carpet, underlay and batons with that special tool to pull out the nails. 
As carefully as I could pull them out, chunks of the concrete slab came out too. 
Do I need to fill in all the gouges ? Because the concrete slab looks like it has a bluish colour waterproof coating I think. I have never done this before and again I’m going to step out of my comfort zone and have a go at laying flooring myself. 
Please , your advice will be truly appreciated. Also, are there any posts on here about floating floors 😃😃😃

IMG_1598.png

IMG_1597.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare for floating floor

Hi @mich1972 

You've done very well with the carpet removal. If you wish to patch the damage on the floor, I suggest using Parfix 1kg Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. Your objective is to have it as close to level as possible so that you'll have to do very little sanding. It's better to patch it rather than having to discover that the holes have affected your floorings level. 

The next thing to take into consideration is your skirting board. Floating floor when installed needs to be at least 10mm away from the wall. This is to allow the floor to expand and retract during temperature changes. If you install it without removing the skirting board, you'll need to install a trimming timber bead or mould to your existing skirting to cover the gap. 

Your other option is to uninstall your current skirting board and reuse them once you've positioned the floating flooring. The other things to consider are the direction in which you'll be laying the flooring and the kind of flooring transition piece you'll be using when you reach the other side of the room.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay laminate flooring    

Here are some discussions regarding floating floor installation:

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @EricL  Thank you so much for your fast reply. 

Ok , I will fill in those gouges as they are bothering me and I don’t want any problems with the slab or when the flooring is done. 
I will purchase the product you suggested. Can I ask if that has waterproofing in it ! Or will I need to paint a special waterproofing product over it ? Just incase any moisture seeps up through the slab , is that necessary or am I worrying too much ? 

Also Eric, I was hoping I could lay the flooring without removing the skirting boards ? 

IMG_1609.jpeg

I hope this helps. I measured the height of the tile, 10mm. So I want to purchase laminate flooring and the appropriate underlay from Bunnings. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

You most certainly can install the flooring without having to remove your skirting board. However, as I mentioned earlier the gap will need to be covered by a timber bead. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of what it looks like when the floating flooring is in place. 

In regards to filler, there is no need to waterproof it as it is inert and dries hard. As to the type of flooring to put in, I propose having a look at the HanWood Home 5mm 2.64sqm Capella Oak Hybrid Waterproof Flooring. It is 100% waterproof so no need to worry about moisture damage or spills. It already has pre-installed foam underlay saving you from having to layout an additional product and it has very good reviews from the people that have installed it in their homes.

Now if you are worried about the uneven level of the flooring, that particular section is covered by a floating floor trim. This will cover the difference between floors. I've placed a link in my previous answer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_1615.jpeg

IMG_1623.jpeg

Ok, I bought the filler to repair the gouges. 
I saw the flooring that you mentioned and that’s nice. 
Can I show you this flooring I saw and what do you think ? I bought a sample piece to look at home. How good is that when you’re not sure !! 😃

I have not purchased boards or underlay yet. 

IMG_1617.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

That diagram is brilliant if we can leave the skirting boards on. How would I keep the planks in place to get the 10mm gap from the walls. I bought this kit Eric. 

IMG_1628.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

The installation kit has spacers included, just place them right next to the skirting board as you lay the flooring. Once the run is complete just take the spacers out. The Floor Select 6mm 2.2m² Spotted Gum Hybrid Waterproof Flooring is perfect and will work just as well as it is water poof. It also has pre-installed underlay so there is no need to buy a roll of it. 

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Seriously Eric you are the best mate. You give me more confidence. Can I ask about the drop when you walk off the tiles into the living room, how do you stop from tripping over the different levels  where the tiles meet the new floor ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Have a quick peek at this discussion - How to transition between bathroom tile flooring and laminate flooring of hallway? by @Megha. The part you'll need to use is called a floating floor trim. It bridges not only the gap but the height difference as well. I've placed an image below that @MitchellMc has drawn up to give you a better idea of how it's done.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects