Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove cavity sliding door.

Annie73
Getting Established

How to remove cavity sliding door.

20191203_222612.jpg

20191203_222325.jpg

20191203_222212.jpg

Hi all, I am wanting to remove my cavity sliding door so I can repaint it.  I've removed the trims, I'm just unsure how go about removing the door with the hardware that is attached.  Thanks. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove cavity sliding door.

Hi @Annie73,

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic that you could join us. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Let me tag a couple of very helpful members in @Brad@ProjectPete and @gippslandhome who might like to share how they would tackle this project.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good morning @Jason and good morning @Annie73 

Thank you for the picture provided, it's a great help.

In the picture you will see the nut. Simply loosen this and it will give the door more room to lift up and down.

It should then easily slide off where the nut has been loosened.

If you are still having trouble after that please message back and the other community members will be glad to help.

All the best with it.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Hi Rob,

hope you can help with this cavity door problem. I need to remove the door to repair a broken roller wheel. However, instead of the usual pelmet that can be easily removed (I've done such jobs before), this door has 100x20 mm timbers recessed into the roof cavity. (see photos). Any ideas on how to tackle this job with minimal paster damage?

Thanks, DavidDoor1.jpgdoor3.jpgdoor2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cowombat 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your cavity sliding door.

There is every chance that the assembly you have is similar to the first sliding door cavity at the start of this discussion. The first order of business is to be able to access the release mechanism of the sliding door cavity. Whoever built this went out of their way to cover the screw heads or nail heads holding the timber cover in place. I suggest using a magnet to see if you can locate the metal heads of the screws.

Once you locate them you'll need to break the putty seal hiding it using a screwdriver. However, if it is nailed in, I recommend hammering the piece of timber off. Once you have removed the timber covering piece you should be able to see the sliding door mechanism. But, if it is still too far deep in the ceiling cavity, I suggest stopping as this will require extensive removal of timber covers in order to access the sliding door mechanism.

I recommend engaging the services of a registered handyperson or tradesperson who can quote you the disassembly and at the same time modify it so that it can be easily accessed in the future. I've placed a video link below to give you an idea of what's involved with the installation of a modern cavity sliding door.

Here is a handy link to Hume's cavity door installation:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects