Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove flyscreen lock without key?

yng7
Cultivating a Following

How to remove flyscreen lock without key?

When I bought this apartment, I wasn’t given the key to the balcony flyscreen door. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to pick the lock over the years, I am turning to this community for advice.

I have researched various methods on the Internet/YouTube but none has worked so far. The ultimate way is to drill through and destroy the cylinder (MKII), I was told.

99A65506-27C4-4A4F-924A-FDEEB3537C3B.jpeg
Note. I don’t have a power drill.

Would anyone have any suggestion?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove flyscreen lock without key?

Hello @yng7 

Thank you for sharing your question about removing your flyscreen door lock without a key. 

I recommend looking at the Whitco Replacement Security Door Lock Pin Cylinder or the shorter Whitco Replacement Security Disc Cylinder Door Lock. Replacing the cylinder lock can be done even if you don't have the key for the current locking cylinder. You can either attempt to remove the cylinder and bring it to the store for size comparison or buy both replacement sets and return the one you don't need. I've attached a video that should guide you through the replacement process. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Here is a link to a lock replacement guide:

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your flyscreen repaired and functional.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Another video for you if you can't get outside.

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the cylinder options recommendation. I’ll keep these in mind.

I’ve watched this video before and attempted this method; unfortunately it’s a very tight space that I can’t work a penknife that way.

Thank you in any case.

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, Brad.

I haven’t seen this video before and looks like it may work for me. Hopefully I have the brute strength to crack the cylinder.

Thank you. Will update if/when successful.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know how you go @yng7. If you don't have any luck I can ask @MitchellMc if he has any ideas.

Thanks,

Jason

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Hi Brad/Jason,

Well, I tried to use an adjustable wrench but I just don’t have the strength. Will have to ask a friend/neighbour to lend their muscles for this job. I’m afraid this will have to wait until lockdown is over.

Thank you anyway.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yng7,

Sorry to hear that you are still having difficulties. I suspect you might not be able the break the lock with an adjustable wrench very easily. The multigrips (as seen in the video) allow you to use your weight due to their offset handles. You don't happen to have a piece of solid pipe that would slide over the wrench's handle, do you? By adding a length of pipe and pulling on the end of it, you'll increase the force you can apply dramatically. 

If the above advice to use a pipe doesn't work, I have drilled out a lock's cylinder before, which was a relatively pain-free task. If you can't get anyone to assist, it might be worth ordering an XU1 500W 13mm Hammer Drill and Ryobi 12mm Cobalt Drill Bit.

Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects