Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sliding wardrobe doors?

DIYMum
Having an Impact

How to remove sliding wardrobe doors?

Hi all

I'm wanting to remove these sliding wardrobe doors to paint them, but there isn't any space at the top to lift them off the track and the runner on the bottom goes the entire length of the wardrobe. Any suggestions on how to get them off? There are two shelves inside that also run the length of the wardrobe. (Excuse the mess inside 😆)

Top of doorsTop of doors

BottonBotton

20220712_105710.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove sliding wardrobe doors

Hi @DIYMum

There is every possibility that the wardrobe frame may have bowed preventing you from removing the wardrobe door. I suggest testing different spots along the wardrobe rail. Bring it first to the middle and see if you can lift it up, then followed by the left side then the right side. 

If you are still not able to lift the door you might have to use a mechanical aid such as a Craftright 380mm Wrecking Bar. Place it under the wardrobe door and gently lift the door off the rails. Please make sure to not use excessive force or you may damage the door in the process. Your goal is to lift the door so that the bottom wheel clears the rail allowing you to swing the door out.  

Another technique you can use is to use chopsticks right beside the rail. It will force the bottom wheel to ride onto the sticks allowing you to pull the bottom of the door out.

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYMum
Having an Impact

20220712_191227.jpg

Thanks @EricL. I've checked for bowing and I don't think that's the problem. There doesn't appear to be any bottom wheels ... it looks like the bottom has a channel that just slides over the raised bit on the track - similar to doors that have those little plastic guides - but this guide goes the length of the wardrobe.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @DIYMum.

Let me also tag a couple of helpful members for their thoughts: @CSParnell and @Tara86.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYMum,

I'm reasonably confident that these doors will lift up and off the bottom track. It's the most common removal method. There won't be any apparent space at the top that they move into as they only lift several millimetres. Quite often, what happens is that the timber door swells, and even when they are lifted, it's hard to get them off the track. Sometimes it can be a bit of a battle. Perhaps get a friend to assist and lift from both sides. Keep wiggling the bottom and pulling it out. You should be able to get it to pop off the track.

Please let me know how to go,

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks, I'll get my son to help me try this on the weekend and let you know how it goes!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects