Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair plasterboard damage?

lavanya
Growing in Experience

How to repair plasterboard damage?

Hi Bunnings Team,

Attached is the picture of the damaged wall , what are the tips to fix this wall..

It is getting bigger and bigger as the blinds were not correctly inserted to the sliding door, so whenever we open the sliding door 

the blind gets hit to the wall.

As always thanks to the team for assisting to my previous post .. I am looking forward to implement them.

Picture1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall damage

Hi @lavanya,

Can you let our helpful members know how large this hole is? That way, they'd be in a better position to suggest an appropriate fix. There isn't much to reference size from, but it appears to be a rather large hole. Have a look at the video I've added below. It shows how to repair up to a medium-sized hole. In your case, it looks like the best approach would be to cut out a square section of the plaster and replace it with a new section. The current hole is too large to repair with filler, and you should replace the plaster itself. Ideally, you should cut away the plaster until you reach the timber stud work on either side so you can screw the repair panel onto it. This will solidly mount the new piece of plaster and allow you to fill around its perimeter, blending it into your wall. I've created a rendering for you below to illustrate the cut-out required.

You could potentially try and glue some timber to the rear side of the hole to fill it in. That might allow you to fill the hole instead of replacing the section of plaster. The main issue with filling a hole of this size is that the plaster filler will fall inside the wall.

Please have a look at the video and then let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

1.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lavanya
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Hope you had a great hump day. Many apologies for delay.Here are the attached pics with measurement on the damage.

I think it is not possible to cut into the square thing as there is a stud behind..I might be wrong.Can you pls advise.

Picture3.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture1.jpg 

RSS
Cultivating a Following

@lavanyaI think your holes are too large to fill in, just like in the video. 

As suggested by MitchellMc...

I would first, trim up the edges of the hole, a square shape will make things easier later. 

Then place some timber (or plasterboard) strips in behind the hole, screw and/or glue them into place. This is to support the 'fill' that you use to put into the hole. 

Cut a new piece of plasterboard a couple of mm smaller than the size of the hole.  Then screw and/or glue this new piece to the strips you inserted behind the hole. 

Follow the steps in the video to fill the gap around the joins to the two pieces; ensuring you push a bit of filler into the gaps.

I've modified MitchellMc's picture to try and show how the strips would look.  Depending on how big the hole is, will depend on how many or large the strips will need to be.  The more strips you have, the stronger the patch will be.

Just remember the final area of the plaster coating will be two to three times the diameter than the original hole.  As you are smoothing out the area (patch) over a larger area, not just the hole size.  I'll try and illustrate this in a picture.

Patched area of repaired hole in plasterboardPatched area of repaired hole in plasterboardStrips in damaged plasterboard to support fillStrips in damaged plasterboard to support fill

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lavanya 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @RSS. Just to add to the suggestions made, it's ok to cut close to the timber stud, in fact its ok to cut over it if the damage extends that far. Using the same strategy suggested, it's important to have a timber support inside the wall so that the Gyprock CSR 530 x 530 x 10mm Mini Plaster Repair Panel will have something to sit on. 

The trick to keep the patch level is to have the repair panel the same size as close as possible to the hole in the wall. This means that you won't have to use as much plaster filler in the gap. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how the panel is supposed to be positioned. 

I propose having a look at the Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler to fill in the gap.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects