Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair wicker chair where binding has come off leg?

JoU
Just Starting Out

How to repair wicker chair where binding has come off leg?

Hi I have a wicker chair where the cane binding has come off 1 of the legs. Can I buy the 5mm cane binding from Bunnings. Is this an easy project I could do?

20210912_130511.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi I have a wicker chair where the cane binding has come off 1 of the legs.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoU. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about wicker binding.

This would be a reasonably easy repair to make once you get ahold of some wicker. Unfortunately, we don't stock any in our stores. Once you locate some, you'll need to secure the loose ends by passing them under the binds that are still in place. A small dot of super glue can help hold things in position. You'll then wrap your new cane binding down to the foot, following the other feet for reference. Once you get to the foot section, add a dot of super glue every few rotations to secure the binds. To finish under the foot, you might find they've used a staple to hold the end securely in place. I'm sure you'll find plenty of YouTube videos that illustrate this much better than my description.

I wonder if you could mimic the cane binding by using Grunt White Poly Core Clothesline? For it to be convincing, you'd need to cut the line down the middle, splitting it in half.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects