Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace roller blind mechanism?

DanManc
Getting Established

How to replace roller blind mechanism?

Hi my roller blind cord has broken.  Additionally the roller blind no longer stays up.  I need to replace the mechanism and cord.  However I'm not sure on the size I need.  The mechanism measures 53mm in diameter on the external side. Is this the correct place to measure and any ideas where I can order the mechanism and cord? (it needs to be fairly long as these are large windows and I'd prefer a metal cord)

1628126422020313980577813086238.jpg

16281264462844242444598399915065.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace roller blind mechanism?

Hi @DanManc,

Great to see you back posting on Workshop.

@TedBear and @Brad may be able to help with your question, and our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be able to assist when he's back on the site over the weekend.

We'd love to hear more about any projects you have planned around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think you measure the stub that fits inside the roller, Spotlight have 25mm and 38mm kits available. Bunnings have the metal chain as a standard item and the mechanism as a special order.

I have only worked with the pull down blinds where you tension the slotted end when instaling them so they stay up, chain ones should be similar with the tensioning.

DanManc
Getting Established

Thanks Brad. The problem I have is the stub measures 53mm in diameter.  I've yet to find that size online or in store.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you was in South Australia I could point you in the best direction I know.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DanManc

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Brad. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the end of the blind? If you can post the end size of the pipe that is holding your roller blind, I can ask our provider if they have anything that will fit your pipe. Can I also please ask you to measure the interior stub of the blind holder as I've indicated in the picture below? Once I have this information, I will be able to ask our provider for possible spare parts.

Please keep us updated.

Eric

DanManc
Getting Established

Hi Eric the stub measures 20mm across. Likewise the hole at the entry of the blind itself as pictured. The blind entry itself is 53mm in diameter.

20210813_105907.jpg

20210813_105843.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DanManc

Thank you so much for posting the updated photos on those blinds. I've spoken to our provider and I'm so sorry but I've been informed that there is no compatible size for that roller blind in their set. However, I suggest considering the option of replacing the entire assembly. Can the plastic assembly be removed from the pipe or is it part of the entire blind? If it can be removed you will then see the true size of the pipe. The other option is to bring your assembly with you and match it with spares from dedicated roller blind shops. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects