Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamp old Queenslander windows?

chloet1
Growing in Experience

How to revamp old Queenslander windows?

Hi!

I have just moved into a new house and am a novice at DIY projects! I need some help with what the best way to go about revamping old Queenslander style windows that are weathered and paint chipping. Thanks! 

DBCBEDD0-4A3F-4362-8965-A996D1FCD4DF.jpeg

93F8BE04-5443-463E-BC33-80D9CA1086D9.jpeg

D826ABCE-8303-4A24-871F-4103DFBFE7D4.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to revamp old Queenslander windows

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chloet1. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to hearing all about the projects you have planned in your new house.

This step-by-step guide gives instructions for cleaning, sanding and painting a window frame and is a great place to start: How To Paint Timber Window Frames. You'll also find fantastic advice from @MitchellMc about sanding flaking paint in this discussion: Solved: Any advice on sanding back paint on trims?

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help further with any questions when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chloet1
Growing in Experience

Hi Stevie,

Thank you for your reply with lots of helpful information :smile: much appreciated! 
I will have a look into those.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chloet1,

It's great to have you join us, and we're all keen to assist with your project. 

I'd recommend that you take a look at our detail sanders and pick up some relatively coarse 60 grit sandpaper to get started. You'll also need some different grades right up to 120/240 grit for finishing. With some sanding and prep work, you'll see some amazing results!

I look forward to following along and providing assistance where needed. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chloet1
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your reply and help! I will have a look into them :smile:

thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects