Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal window flashings to avoid water leakage?

sydney0
Finding My Feet

How to seal window flashings to avoid water leakage?

We have rain water leaking into the glass window (fixed, can't be opened) with rain so we would like a couple of window flashings fixed and re-seal internally. They are at the first floor so a tall ladder will be needed for the external repair which could be a hurdle. How do you recommend fixing this issue? Thanks! 

TwxJ7nXECs.png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix/ seal fixed glass windows flashings - water leakage

Hi @sydney0 

First I note your ladder situation.

Basically from the inside all you can do is run a bead off clear silicon along that window sill where it meets the window frame  and also run the bead around the corner at the ends. This should stop the water there but  ideally you  need the water not to be there as the  window sill is wood and th paint is not meant to hold pooled water repeatedly and the timber may begin to rot.

So Sealing the window from the outside is the better repair. If possible. Clear silicon over the rubber will fix that (window replacement with silicon is still possible)  and also along brickwork and window sill.

I can see possible leak  causes in  photo

1,  the outside window rubbers distorted 

2 Crack? in brick work  far right of photo.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to seal window flashings to avoid water leakage?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @sydney0. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden plans. 

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue about your leaking window. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to provide some suggestions as soon as possible. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

So basically, clear silicon inside and outside at joints should fix it, as I understand it. Any particular clear silicon product/ brand that you recommend? Thanks!

Hi @sydney0 

Water leak repairs is  best  stopping it out doors first where possible but short term  an inside  seal will stop water coming indoors,

Any where   outside you see a  gap fix  it especially up a ladder as you dont want to make that trip too many times.

Several solutions avaliable this one is  uv stable for outdoors.

Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant I/N: 1234919

$15.09

Needs a cauking gun and dont forget to get the free nozzles that is standard for screwing on and cut it at 45 degrees for applicaton.

• Roof and gutter silicone sealant for metal and tiled roofing*
  • Superior waterproof and UV resistant seal
  • Temperature resistant from -60°C +150°C
  • Suitable for contact with drinking water
  • Suitable for use on Colorbond ® and other BlueScope Steel decorative sheet metals, copper, aluminium, brass, zinc, galvanised metals, rigid PVC and most plastics*, rubber, glass, terracotta, concrete and glazed tiles
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sydney0 

Thanks for sharing your question about your water leakage near your windows. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at Sika 300ml Sikaseal 300 Glass And Weather Seal Silicone Sealant - Transparent. It can be used inside and outside; It has UV and weather resistance features mixed in with it.

To remove the old silicone on the surface of the aluminium window I suggest using Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades. If you don't have the proper ladder and are not comfortable working at heights, l suggest, posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath. (the techniques used are applicable to your project.)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @sydney0,

I trust you now have everything you need to get cracking on this problem.

Just thought I'd add this helpful article from @Adam_W: How to use ladders safely

Please take care working from height and stay safe.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects