Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain timber floor boards?

MauRi
Just Starting Out

How to stain timber floor boards?

Hi. We have stripped all our carpet throughout entire house. Floor boards in good condition. Want to stain varnish the timber floor boards rather than recarpet 

What products do I need to buy? 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Stain floor boards

Hi MauRi,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop,

What sort of a finish are you looking for on your floor?

As in, colour, shade?

What sort of area (metres squared) are we talking here?

Rather than wood stain, would you consider wood dye?

I believe Bunnings does sell this, it is a single coat thing that brings timber up quite well, no matter what colour you use.

Or you can do a second coat to really re-inforce that original colour.

It will also take a polyurethane varnish over the top, but in the times that I have used this treatment, I've not needed it.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stain floor boards

Hi @MauRi

Let me extend a warm welcome as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's amazing to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about staining your floorboards.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MikeTNZ. All those questions that were in the recommendations given will need to be addressed. I suggest visiting your local store and going to the paint department. In the varnish and stain aisle, you'll see the sample boards of all the different kinds of stains and finishes you can get. 

Once you've decided on what stain and finish your going to go with, you can then calculate the area you'll need to paint.  

It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects