Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to transition floating floor down to lower carpet?

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

How to transition floating floor down to lower carpet?

Hey team more questions as my project gets closer. I am currently installing floating floor over an old subfloor of tiles which are clean and flat.

My question related to transition from new floating floors down to existing carpet. 

So currently there is a standard pvc Vinyl Edge Cap strip between the two as the carpet and floor are the same height. Once I put the floating floor in it will sit probably 8-10mm higher than the carpet. My question is how do I transition from the living area which will have the high floating floor, down to the carpet, without removing the old channel that is already installed and has carpet attached it it etc. I figure that I need a step down transition but have no idea what to get. I can't really remove the only transition strip channel and replace it, and worry that anything I buy wont quite work.

Any help greatly appreeciated.

bEn

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floor trim part 2

Hi @GingerNinja

Thanks for the update on your flooring project. Normally in these transition situations, I would suggest using Roberts 1.65m Silver Junior Ramp Floating Floor Trim in combination with Roberts Ramp And Cover Trim Plug - 10 Pack. This has been specifically made to transition between floating floor and carpet. One side of the trim is higher than the other and is held in place by the plugs. 

I'm aware that you're hesitant to remove the transition strip, but the only other recommendation I can suggest is using QEP Black Vinyl Edge Cap. You'll notice that the push on centre attachment is offset with one side of the cap being bigger than the other. This extra lip allows you to put it on uneven surfaces. However, if one side is too high a bend will show on the vinyl edge cap. There is also the possibility that if the aluminium receiving trim is not in the right position it will not cover the gap correctly.

If removing the current aluminium strip channel makes the carpet edge lose, I suggest either gluing it down with Ideal Distributors 38mm x 12.8m Indoor / Outdoor Carpet Tape or stapling the edge down with a staple gun. Once the edge is down make sure that the transition strip is tightly pushing on the carpet side.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

Re: Floor trim part 2

Thaks will give the edge cap a crack as I will have spare from the other rooms I am doing that will be same height (tile to vinyl to bathroom, toilet and laundry)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects