Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to wall-mount a heavy 75-inch 40kg TV

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to wall-mount a heavy 75-inch 40kg TV

Hi folks, 

Hoping we all are waiting for Christmas and new year. 

My today's queries to the experts are how can I wall mount my heavy 75" 40 Kg TV. 

I found few previous discussion about this topic such as this

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Wall-mounting-TV-to-plasterboard/td-p/546...

and this

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Wall-mounting-TV-to-plasterboard/m-p/5468...

However, I wanted to start a fresh discussion and for a heavy tv. 

I believe all the screws need to go to the stud. 

Following is one of the bunnings products. 

Sugar_0-1639480321287.png

If I am using the above product, what happens if I only get a stud for the top and bottom screws of one side but I cannot get a stud for the other two screws on the other sides?

What are the alternatives? or I only see to play with the bottom and top horizontal dotted gaps and do the hit and trial to find the stud.

Please help me here. 

Thanking you in advance.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wall mounting heavy tv 75" 40 KG

Hello @Sugar 

In order to secure your 70" TV to the wall, I suggest screwing a mounting panel like 285 x 19mm 1.2m DAR Pine Premium onto the stud wall, If you need a longer piece make sure to measure the length you need. I understand that the TV bracket is not wide enough to reach the necessary spot to be mounted onto the second stud. By installing a mounting panel it'll be wide enough to cross between the studs and allow itself to be mounted to them. You then install the TV mounting bracket onto the panel.

I've placed a sample diagram below for you to have a look at. You'll notice in the Xray version where we can see through the wall and onto the stud that the panel is mounted onto at least three studs. I suggest using Zenith 14G x 65mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack. I recommend using the screws the TV mounting bracket manufacturer has suggested. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Sugar TV mount1.jpgUsing your X-Ray vision you'll see that the panel is securely mounted to at least three studs. This will spread the weight of your TV.Using your X-Ray vision you'll see that the panel is securely mounted to at least three studs. This will spread the weight of your TV.This is just an example of  how the TV bracket may be mounted.This is just an example of how the TV bracket may be mounted.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to wall-mount a heavy 75-inch 40kg TV

"Following is one of the bunnings products."

What is the width of that wall-bracket? It looks like it would should span two studs.

Sugar_0-1639480321287.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

My house is 75 years old and somewhere in its unusual history walls in some places have two layers of gyprock, sometimes covering a layer of fibro. As a result I've never had success with the electronic stud finders.

One method my neighbour showed me was using those incredibly strong earth magnets to locate the screws/nails on the walls. Jaycar sell them and they come with warnings - like never get your fingers between them.

Once you've got the approximate height, move it either way to locate the next stud nail/screw. They're so powerful - they're like a divining rod and it 'pulls' your hand to the metal.

Once found, a level can be applied to the spot and a pencil line vertically marked.

20211215_155220.jpg

Sugar
Having an Impact

Hi @Noyade 

The total length of the wall mount is 860mm. It definitely covers two vertical studs. 

If I want to mount the TV at the center of the wall, One of the vertical TV arms ( bracket) falls in between two studs ( more towards one/ left studs, let's say) and another vertical TV arm falls outsides of the second ( let's say, right stud). The mounting screw to the stud is represented by the purple circle in the following image ( sorry if it is not that clear). 

Is this still okay if the one TV arm (vertical ) happens to fall outside the hanging part of the wall mount?

If this is okay, I am preferring this way, if there going to be some weight-bearing issue, probably I will go with @EricL 's option. 

Sugar_2-1640495347768.png

Sugar
Having an Impact

@EricL @Noyade 

My Christmas holidays proved to be very useful. I successfully wall-mounted my 75" (40 KG) tv on the wall by following some tips from you guys and some through research.  

The following images show the progressive steps from beginning to end. I wanted to share so that others can follow this if needed.

I wanted to mouth the TV at the center of the wall. However, the studs were not aligned perfectly at the right spots to mount the bracket at the center. 

At this stage, I followed @EricL 's suggestions. I used two mounting panels and screwed them to the studs and then I could move the mounting bracket to make it at the center of the wall. I had to use two mounting panels because I could not get the right size Dressed Pine Timber. 

Additional work done:  I wanted to install my home theatre as well. I knew I was going to have lots of wires coming out from the TV to the receiver. And, I did not want those wires hanging from my TV to the Entertainment unit. Hence, I used this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-bull-nose-brush-wall-plate_p4331825

to navigate the wires inside the wall. I am very happy with the results as all the wires are not hidden. 

The mistake I did: I should have put the brush plate towards the right side of the AC GPO because HDMI ports, LAN, USB port, and power socket were all on the right side of the TV.  I created on the left side of the GPO. I had to extend the wires which were just enough to reach to the ports behind the TV.  

This project took me one whole day but was working doing at the end. 

Thanks to you guys. 

Before1.jpeg

20211226_140438.jpg

20211226_140449.jpg

20211226_172445.jpg

20211227_093802.jpg

20211227_093810.jpg

20211228_193116.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sensational results @Sugar! I'm glad you got it all sorted. Many thanks for sharing your method.

Mitchell

Scott11
Just Starting Out

Hello. A suggestion (above) was screwing a mounting panel like 285 x 19mm 1.2m DAR Pine Premium onto the stud wall. I'm assuming you can only use a fixed tv wall mount bracket as opposed to a full motion bracket for this purpose? Thanks, Scott

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Scott11 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about TV wall mounting.

You're absolutely right, the suggestion made was for a static mount only and is not recommended for swivel or full motion brackets. Because a 75" tv is quite heavy any dynamic stress applied to the wall mount will transfer to the wall itself. The wall stud will need to be stiffened from the inside adding noggins to prevent the studs from twisting and bowing. I also suggest adding steel angle brackets to the stud bottoms so that the stud itself does not pull out from its assembly.

I recommend consulting a registered builder on the best way to reinforce your wall so that it can take the weight of your tv when mounted on a full motion bracket.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects