Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for filling a hole in double brick wall

apples2
Getting Established

Ideas for filling a hole in double brick wall

Hi I have an old Kelvinator air conditioner in the brickwall of my house which sits inside the familyroom and the exterior section is outside in the carport,(which you have to make sure you don't bang your head on it).Once this is taken out i will have a double brick wall on both sides to fill.Inside is not too much of a problem as i can fill the brick wall and paint it after.However the outside is an issue as the bricks are old (35yrs) i will have a job getting the same brickes to match.I know i could render or paint it but i am looking for other ideas about how i could just fill it with something that could look ok. Thank you

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ideas for filling a hole in double brick wall

Hi @apples2, depending on the size of the hole you should get away with using Mortafil. There are a few colour options to match your bricks but failing that you can simply sand/paint to match as best as possible. Let us know how you go - pics are always helpful :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thank you ProjectPete, The mentioned hole is 59cmx76cm,i am not sure what was meant by using Mortafil as it only comes in tubes,as far as i am aware.I maybe didn't explain the project very well.

The carport has old bricks which i will not be able to match,so i was looking at filling the above size hole with bricks,then looking for ideas about how i could hide the bricks that don't match as it will look unsightly and i don't want to paint or render the carport.I appreciate your reply.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have a similar issue. Looking at my bricks they are in-between standard and tumbled  bricks and they aren't a consistent colour. As much as I would like to I will never match the mixed colours and textures. You might have a more standard pattern and colour to be able to make facings with Mortafil that will tint to match and can be stuck onto blue board, 10mm seems to be the standard that people use for brick facings.

I could take the ac out from inside and fill the hole to make inside the lounge room look better and leave the empty box outside as it clears my head. Putting something artistic in the hole but that would still look odd being on the side of the house unless I carried the theme along side that whole wall. Growing a creeper that would survive on only morning sun and have that covering the side of my house.
apples2
Getting Established

Thank you Brad. My bricks are reasonably consistent but the pattern on the bricks would be very difficult to match also.The bricks are only 8mm.I am not familiar with Mortafil but it sounds like a great product from what i have read recently. I was looking at the small decorative screens, they sell at Bunnings to cover the odd brick work on the outside once it's done.Maybe buying two screens and placing them at balanced points in the carport,just so it looks decorative.Growing a creeper wouldn't work for my small dark carport, but thanks for the idea.The screens have a few different patterns and come in rubber or rusty steel, not expensive either.If my air conditioner on the outside wall wasn't a hazard,i would leave it there too,less trouble.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have used the protector screens out the back in the leaf pattern. I will have to fix the meter box door out the back and naturally it doesn't match the size of standard screens so I will have to think about tracing the shape onto either plastic to make a screen to cover some sins or stick with a wooden door that I could route out the pattern and possibly resin fill.
apples2
Getting Established

I have brought two rubber screens which were much larger than the leaf patterns and they were on special for $19.99 each, at Bunnings.They cover the area well, still need to either put the screen on ply and paint it, as the none matching bricks show through a little.Just held the screens up in carport to see what they look like and it looks great.Just adds a bit of style to old style bricks.Also in the interior of the house,we are going to try a shelf in the wall where the air conditioner was and then paint the bricks.If it looks weird we can then take the shelf out and brick it up and paint it.So glad the old air conditioner has gone.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to be late to this fantastic discussion, but just wanted to extend an overdue welcome to the community @apples2. I was pleased to see you got some great assistance from Brad and Pete, two of our most helpful and experienced members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project, or have something to share. 

We'd still love to see some pictures of what you have done. Please let me know if you need a hand uploading them, or ever need help getting the most from the site. I always also welcome feedback from our members about how we can improve the Workshop site so it is even more useful.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

@apples2 

Can you possibly post a picture of the hole in your brick wall and the extra bricks with your mobile phone?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects