Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Insect screens for casement windows

twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Insect screens for casement windows

This month is Fix It Feb at Bunnings so I’m in the process of making insect screens for my casement windows. I explored a few options eg tracks, access ports (smaller openings to reach windows through), magnetic, lift out etc, but settled on the below with a lower hinged section to access opening and closing. The top two thirds are screwed to the window frame, bottom third is hinged for window access. I couldn't hinge vertically due to pelmets above the window and I didn't want a large hinged area to lift up so I made the top part to suit 910mm fibreglass and bought a 30m roll to eventually do the whole house, probably too much but it was the cheapest option and allows for stuff ups. 😉  Hopefully my post will help others looking to add flyscreens to these old windows and offer DIY options.

20230224_184443.jpg    20230224_185449.jpg  20230224_183415.jpg

Someone in the Bunnings Mums FB group mentioned fire safety as I’ve screwed the frames to the window frame, and I replied that I’ve used 2 short screws either side and the screen is fibreglass not aluminium so where there's a will there's a way in an adrenaline charged emergency, it wouldn't take much to rip them off if needed, bit of a drop below though as the house is a highblock. No kids here either, we're empty nesters.

The large screen has cross bracing to hold it square as my first attempt pulled the top and bottom up like an arc which was obvious when I went to attach the hinged section. The cross brace clips are unfortunately the same size as the 11mm frame that I used so I had to crush them a bit with a pair of pliers to make them fit into the cross frame but once they’re on, the spline fits easily into the track with it in place. Make sure the frame is square before adding the insect screen and spline (also make sure the cross bracing lines up, unlike mine, I didn't notice until it was all together 🙄 ).  

I've added weather strip between the sections as I had a bit of a gap between the two frames.

Washing the windows isn’t as easy but I prefer this than cleaning up after the mud wasps have snuck inside and built their nests anywhere and everywhere.

All parts from Bunnings and most from the same bay/same aisle – small mitre box, spline roller, flyscreen trimmer, insect screen (Syneco fibreglass), white frame, 6mm spline, corner stakes, swivel clips, cross brace clips, hinges, white rivets, screws, Syneco weather seal (5m roll under $4). I bought a box of 20 primed hinges then spray painted white to suit the frames.

Extra tools – hacksaw, rubber mallet (needed to persuade some of the corner stakes home), drill, rivet gun, screwdriver, pliers, tape measure, square, marker pen.

Screenshot_20230224_185554_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230224_185605_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230224_185622_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230224_185634_Gallery.jpg   
Screenshot_20230224_190548_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230224_190559_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230224_190617_Gallery.jpg

Instagram @twocutekelpies
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insect screens for casement windows

Hello @twocutekelpies 

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your insect screen project for your casement windows. What a clever idea having the bottom part of the insect screen swing up to get access to the windows. This is great for those warm evenings when you want your windows open but don't want the insects coming in. I'm sure our members will find your insect screen project very handy.

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects