Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Install a door and frame into a non load bearing wall

markhwa
Just Starting Out

Install a door and frame into a non load bearing wall

Hi Guys,

Im looking to install a door into a non-load bearing brick wall here in WA, I'm looing for advice on how to go about it, i was thinking of just cutting it out with a saw and installing a metal split door frame, 
will the split metal door frame be enough to support the brickwork above it or do i need to install a lintel or just install a wooden frame to hole up the wall and fit the door to?Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 2.03.20 pm.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Install a door and frame into a non load bearing wall

I think from what I have seen you need studs around the cutout to screw the metal doorframe on. They have another product to be dyna bolted into tilt up construction that would work for brick too. Lintel I would put in the depends on how the wall condition is.

I will admit to being biased towards wood for frames.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop and making your first post @markhwa. I trust Brad's reply was helpful. We are looking forward to seeing your project come to completion. 

Welcome to the community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden as we have clever and creative members sharing helpful information, advice and inspiration every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
markhwa
Just Starting Out

Thank you for the advice Brad.

it is a new build, I was thinking the steel frame would be enough to hold the brickwork above it I guess il try getting in contact with the manufacturer and see what they say, if not il just install a wooden door frame

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects