Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Internal bedroom door has stopped shutting properly.

lazydrummer
Finding My Feet

Internal bedroom door has stopped shutting properly.

I would appreciate some advice on the best solution for an internal door that no longer closes properly. 

I have checked and the door is still attached firmly by the hinges, so I can only think the weather of late has expanded the wood at the top of the door, as there are visible rub marks at the top of the door, in the centre area. It appears to be only a few mm's out.

My first thought is, to use a plainer to take a few mm's off the top of the door, or alternatively should I try tyo adjust the hinges to free up some room?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Internal bedroom door has stopped shutting properly.

@lazydrummer

My first thought would be to check the tightness of the hinge screws, they can work loose. If they're snug, then put a straight edge on the underside of the door frame to check that it's straight & true. If that seems OK, then check the top of the door with the straight edge.

Hope this helps.

Will definitely give those suggestions a try. Thanks for your input.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@lazydrummer

I'm sort of embarrassed to say that I missed that you'd already checked the hinge fittings for tightness, & that's on me, my (very real) short-term memory deficiency gets exposed from time to time. : (

I've had another think about it, & as the door is binding at the top/middle, I doubt that it would be the hinges. If the top hinge was loose, the door would fall away from the top door frame. If it were the bottom hinge, then it wouldn't push the mass of the door up to cause the door to hit the top door frame.

I'm now doubting that the top of the door would bow to make contact, as it's equally free to expand lengthwise. I'm about to make a complete fool of myself, but I reckon that it may be the top door frame that's causing your problem.

Hope this helps.

John

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@lazydrummer

This happens to us every winter, but it's not the same door all the time.  Our house sits on a sand bed with clay underlay and the house seems to move between when it's wet and dry.  The only thing I could do after checking hinges and frames for square was to plane the doors off a couple of mm.  We have the standard hollow internal doors and it is our intention to replace these in due course.  Another thing I have tried and works is to use talcum powder.  The door will still rub but won't be as sticky.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects