Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is putty around power outlet safe?

homediy
Getting Established

Is putty around power outlet safe?

We had a dint in the plaster around a socket and I've put some filler there. Just started wondering if that's safe? From recollection the wires are encased  behind so shouldn't be an issue?

16737548081454744324806017816422.jpg

Re: Is putty around power outlet safe?

Hi @Noyade 

As photo shows 2 screws Period.  I also quote  @homediy  says" I wondered why the electrician didn't put in the bottom screws." 

The 2 screw is a bare minimum . And as @EricL  says if it is firm then  I agree with him that is ok Electrically fine

We all seen some one trip on a power cord  and that can pull on the wall socket  that is where the extra screws make a difference. 

Back to answering @homediy  Questions 

I re quote  "Thanks, I wondered why the electrician didn't put in the bottom screws. Could screwing it in there actually be an issue ie there was a reason behind that he didn't I wonder? There are two screws centre either side too.

The center screws  either side are for use with the Plaster bracket and is  good power point for having them, Usual the brackets have their own screws so its nice to have spares  built in they wont work into gyprock though.

Normally power points  should be away  from  all plumbing etc a minimal distance and the screws should only go the depth of the gyprock any further is tempting fate as there are electrical wires close by  You asked if your power point was  safe?  Electrically Yes it is.

But in gyprock they can  pull out of the wall !!.  I myself  have a loose gyprock mounted power point  of the clamp sandwich kind I saw the  kids pulling the plug out by the power cord in whipping motion (kids they where not to know till taught, they understand  now  and never  where in  trouble) I would say I was not the first time so One of my new inside  jobs is  strengthening gyprock around that power point. Electrically safe but loose. I suspect

Gyprock sheet  failed on the outer side.  My power point is also screwed on one side to a  stud.  So the extra strength stopped it coming off the wall and not electrically un safe. 

The extra redundancy paid off.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects