Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Luxe bedroom on a DIY budget

nicoleherrick
Having an Impact

Luxe bedroom on a DIY budget

I DIY'd absolutely everything in this bedroom to make it super affordable. My total spend was $759 saving myself around $5.5k buy not buying everything off the shelf. 

DIY's included:

• Grasscloth Wallpaper
  • A DIY bedhead
  • Dowel feature Bedside tables
  • DIY lamp
  • DIY duvet cover
  • DIY feather cushions
  • DIY reupholstered Ikea armchair
  • DIY bedroom art
  • Installing Ikea curtains
  • Spray painting vents
  • Installing a pendant light with no wiring 

The finished room

Photo 28-6-22, 9 58 40 pm.jpg

Before

Before.jpg

Lamps made from Verve Design White Kimono Paperweave Drum Lamp Shade $27.50 each, Kmart plant pots (x2) $7 each, Kmart mini lamp $10 each, Squirts spray Prime and Paint. total cost per lamp $56.50. 

Photo 4-6-22, 1 33 27 pm.jpg

Upcycled second hand bedside tables transformed with Taubmans Endure paint and 10mm half round dowels 

Photo 27-6-22, 4 54 33 pm.jpgIMG-8776.jpg 

DIY bedhead made with 6mm mdf backer, an old foam mattress, some wadding and fabric and lots of ozito tools. 

Photo 27-6-22, 6 38 06 pm.jpg

Second hand ikea armchair bought for $20, transformed with $60 worth of fabric. 

Photo 27-6-22, 6 38 15 pm.jpg

IMG_6335.JPEG

Handmade duvet cover using curtain fabric for $50

Photo 28-6-22, 4 13 42 pm.jpg

Handmade linen feather filled cushions $25 for 4 cushions

Photo 28-6-22, 4 14 25 pm.jpg

DIY wall art using a $22 Kmart frame. I primed the mdf backer using Zinsser BIN and painted using some old wall paints and some acrylics. 

Photo 28-6-22, 9 58 46 pm.jpg

I have a full video of the bedroom makeover feature all the DIYS. There will also be a full tutorial for each of the individual DIY's being shared in the coming weeks. Be sure to check out my You Tube channel for lots of great DIYs.

Nicole Herrick DIY
www.youtube.com/nicoleherrickdiy
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Re: Luxe bedroom on a DIY budget

@nicoleherrick Thank you firstly for taking part of DIY July and secondly, AMAZING! I’m a big fan of upcycling and you have tackled it in every aspect of your room. I love the side tables transformation and arm chairs. Your room is so inviting and spacious now. 
I think your kitties make the best accessories!

Thank you for also providing a video link, this is very useful for fellow members who are wanting to achieve a similar look. 

All the very best for your entry and good luck. 
Sandy 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicoleherrick

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. What a tremendous D.I.Y. effort, everything looks amazing. You've managed to create such a beautiful ensemble. I'm really intrigued about the cover of your chair, would you be able to tell us what that cover is called? I love the upcycled side tables you've created and the lamps are just outstanding.

I look forward to seeing more of your D.I.Y. creations. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI Sandy, thanks so much! Yes kitty's only make a room look better don't they. Many thanks. 

Nicole Herrick DIY

Thanks so much Eric. The fabric i used to make the new cover for the armchair is called teddy fabric. It's very similar to the on trend Boucle fabric but without the high price tag. 

Nicole Herrick DIY
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicoleherrick

Thank you for getting back to me about the fabric you used on that chair. The chair looks very soft and comfortable to sit in. I'm sure the kitties love getting on it.

Eric

amynorth
Just Starting Out

This is super impressive! It all looks amazing! I particularly adore the bedside tables. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @amynorth. Let me tag @nicoleherrick so she is alerted to your kind feedback. Do you have your own bedroom renovation planned? We would be happy to help. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. As you can see, we have loads of clever and creative members sharing inspiring projects every day. We also have loads of helpful and knowledgable members sharing advice, so feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects