Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

MultiStorage units for walk-in wardrobe renovation

Duaneharry
Getting Established

MultiStorage units for walk-in wardrobe renovation

Hi all,

I want to renovate our 30 year old walk-in wardrobe and want to use Bunnings MultiStorage units. 

The width of the back wall is 1640mm. Total width of the two units I want to use is 1550mm leaving a gap of 90mm. This gap would be on the right side and on that side I want to have a stainless steel hanging rod going towards to door on that wall to complete refit. My question is, will the 90mm gap be a problem or should I put a strip of melamine down to hide? 

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 5.41.59 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-02 at 5.41.22 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Multistorage units for walk-in wardrobe renovation

Hi @Duaneharry,

It would assist our members in offering a helpful response if you could provide a little more information on the positioning of the hanging rod and how it might interact with the 90mm gap. Perhaps a top-down sketch illustrating the layout of the wardrobe, including the position of the storage units, the rail and the door?

I believe adding the 90mm infill strip will enhance the appeal of the installation, but I'd like to know more before I recommend it.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your response. I'll attach a quick hand sketch of my wardrobe with measurements. The hanging rod will attach to the right side of the corner storage unit so the 90mm gap shouldn't be a problem. I'll then put a 445mm wide shelf along the rightside wall attached to the top of the corner unit and I'll hang the rod below that. Hope that make sense. I didn't include the shelf in my sketch. Don't see the gap being a problem as it'll be out of sight with clothes hanging from the rod but an infill would be good to finish off. 

@MitchellMc 

For some reason my photo won't upload.

Sorry for the trouble @Duaneharry. Feel free to email the photo to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can put it up for you. 

We've had a few people report similar problems recently. Can you please tell me what device and browser you are using so our team can address the issue?

Apologies again,

Jason

From your description, @Duaneharry, it doesn't sound like the gap would be an issue if it's covered with clothes, out of sight, out of mind.

You'll likely be able to place the 445mm shelf slightly on top of the corner unit, which will let you screw up through the unit into it. You'll then need to locate the timber stud work on the opposite wall and install a couple of angled brackets for that end to be attached to.

I'll be looking forward to seeing that image. Please send it through to the email above, and we'll get it sorted.

Mitchell

Duaneharry
Getting Established

Re: MultiStorage units for walk-in wardrobe renovation

Duaneharry_0-1620112078071.jpeg

Wardrobe now finished. Ended up using double hanging unit, corner unit and added a hanging unit for dresses. Decided to have the corner unit hard against the corner which left a gap on the left hand side of double hanging unit which we can live with. The Multistore wardrobe flatpacks from Bunnings are well made and look great. The longer hanging unit was ordered from special orders and only took a week to arrive. My wife is very happy!!

I'm pleased to hear that your project was a success @Duaneharry.

I trust our members would be keen to see the finished layout as it would be great inspiration for any that find themselves in a similar situation.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Picture 1.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects