Workshop
Ask a question

How to convert an office table into a bar or dining table?

Ityagi
Finding My Feet

How to convert an office table into a bar or dining table?

I am planning to convert this office table into the Bar/Dining table. 

But not sure how to start? I was planning to paint the black color, but not sure which paint stable and waterproof? Color choice would be brass/gold or if not available then white. If you have any other idea to give it a new look, please tell me.

1000069825.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Office table makeover

Afternoon @Ityagi 

Any chance of posting a few closer photos of underneath this desk?

My thought is if it's to be a bar table, we need to remove some steel and those two book shelves.

Then we need to stabilise it.

What do ya think?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert an office table into a bar or dining table?

Hi @Ityagi,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

Do you plan to alter the frame at all as @Noyade has suggested? Or do you simply plan to spruce it up with a change of colour and maybe some new timber tops?

There are options for gold paint such as Dulux 325g Duramax Metallic Gold Spray Paint which you could repaint the legs with. There are also options for bench tops such as this SpecRite 1200 x 600mm 18mm Timber Panel Okoume FJ Laminated which could be used as the top and shelving depending on your style preferences.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members for their thoughts, @Dave-1, @diy_hausdesigns, @Renowayoflife

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Ityagi 

I have another question as well.

Do you want the front or sides covered (depending on where it will be sitting) The frame for that type of desk isnt particulary solid and Ithink it could handle some cladding added to it but not a lot.

If you do decide on cladding maybe something onlg the lines of James Hardie 4200 x 230 x 7.5mm FC Woodgrain HardiPlank Weatherboard 

with the top that @JacobZ has suggested. My concern is too much weight and it will fracture the welds on that thin tubular steel.

Dave

Ityagi
Finding My Feet

Thanks a lot to all of you. It helped a lot :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects