Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting furniture using chalk paint

Chez1
Finding My Feet

Painting furniture using chalk paint

Have never done any painting before so want to do a few pieces of my furniture in chalk paint, don’t want it to look vintage or antique, can you help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: chalk painting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Chez1. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Chalk paint, by its very nature, gives an aged and vintage look. It was designed to be applied over stained and coated timber furniture to give it a shabby-chic appearance. Perhaps you might be better off with paint like Dulux Aquanamel.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Upcycle Almost Anything With Paint.

You might also like to show our members some of the furniture you would like to paint, as I trust they will be full of helpful suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'll be looking forward to seeing your furniture @Chez1 and providing assistance along the way.

I'm busy sanding back a coffee table at the moment so I can paint the lower half. It's amazing being able to give furniture a new lease on life with just a quick coat of paint.

Please keep us updated on your progress. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Corina
Finding My Feet

Re: Painting furniture using chalk paint

@Chez1 Hi there, I too am looking into Chalk painting some timber dining table & chairs and a few other things, I  just went to a friends house who has been doing all her furniture and it looks amazing.

maybe you could do something little first to see how you like it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting furniture using chalk paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Corina. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

You might like to start a discussion about your project so you can get feedback and advice from our helpful members. It will also serve as a place where you can document the process and keep track of your successes.

We look forward to hearing all about your painting project and the others around your house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects