Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting timber panelling/dado board

BeachsideDi
Finding My Feet

Painting timber panelling/dado board

I am wanting to paint over the varnished wood panelling in our family room with a white gloss paint. As it is such a large area with many grooves between the panels which are difficult to sand, can I use ESP to prepare surface before painting?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting timber panelling/dado board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BeachsideDi. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Over varnished wood panelling, my recommendation would be to go for the shellac-based primer: Rust-Oleum B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer. I have had more feedback on the Rust-Oleum product than ESP on varnished timber. However, both of them are excellent products and ESP is certainly an option to consider and would work on your wall. 

With either of these two products, I would advise giving the walls surface a light sand with 180-240 grit sandpaper before coating them. You won't be looking to remove any material, just simply scuff up the surface. This is not necessary but I feel it will enhance the bond between the coatings. Once you have completed the sanding wipe the residue down with a damp cloth and allow to dry before applying your choice of product.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell great advice.  May I ask what paint do you recommend?  I was looking at the Dulux Renovation Cabinet Range of gloss paint or Taubmans Endure Gloss Accent interior door and Trim but I may be way off the mark. 

@BeachsideDi,

Either Taubmans Endure Gloss Interior Doors And Trim Paint or Dulux Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint would be excellent choices. I don't believe there is any reason to go to the extra expense of using the Renovation range in this application. My suggestion would be the Aquanamel as it is a premium product which I have personally used several times before with excellent results.

Please be aware that the Taubmans Endure Gloss Accent interior door and Trim is a base for mixing colours into and not a product you would pick up off the shelf and take home. The white would be Taubmans Endure Gloss White Doors And Trim Paint - 1L, 2L, 4L.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Excellent Advice. Thank you for your recommendations. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects