Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plantation shutters for corner windows

super_cub
Getting Established

Plantation shutters for corner windows

Can the adjustable plantation shutters at Bunnings be installed on corner windows? We have a huge corner window that faces west in our home, looking to get some shutters to block out the summer heat, only problem is that I am not sure how to install them on a corner window configuration. Any advice and suggestions welcome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plantation shutters for corner windows

Hello @super_cub

Adding Plantation Shutters is a great way to add a feature to your window and provide shade inside the house. I've seen Plantation shutters installed from frame end to frame end. However, I've yet to see it as a bifold for a corner installation. Did you have a preference for this particular install? Allow me to make some inquiries for you about corner installations. As soon as I have more information. I will get back to you. 

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @super_cub,

Could you please share some photos of your windows so members can see what you are working with? It might help us provide more useful suggestions and perhaps alternatives.

All the best,

Jason

super_cub
Getting Established

20211006_114112.jpgHi, This is a photo of said window. There is no corner frame inside. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing this photo @super_cub.

Let me tag @JoeAzza and @Brad for their suggestions. @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

Hi @super_cub

Plantation shutters are installed within frames. You could install two shutters that meet at this corner, but you'll need to install a vertical piece of timber which they can join to and then clad it from the exterior. You can see their included frame in the installation instructions. The frames will meet at that corner, but look unfinished and not be waterproof from the exterior.

Is there no structural member in that corner? That would be a reasonably unique roof design for it not to be held up at all.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc  for the suggestion on the vertical piece of timber for the corner windows, this was the solution I was looking for. There is actually a vertical steel beam on the inside of the windows where the corner joins but I don't want to be be drilling into it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects