Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Possible issues with furniture restoration. Hard fix?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Possible issues with furniture restoration. Hard fix?

Hi everyone. 

Nice to be here. Didn't know it existed. I'm a newbie to woodworking. Mostly self taught. 

I'm thinking if buying this to restore and sell. I'm not sure if the missing veneer is going to be too time consuming/expensive to fix. I do this for the absolute love and passion but hey these things can cost too. 

I lost mega on my first recent job. 

I restored and re upholstered these chairs. It was my very first time and my first job. It was an extremely hard project for a newbie but I did it all myself. 

IMG20201125143719.jpg

IMG20210106075044.jpg

 I am hesitant to buy this next item although I absolutely love it. It has missing veneer in a few spots. I just want to get others thoughts about it. I'm not keen to go through what I did with the chairs to get them looking like that. 

IMG_20210109_131846.jpg

IMG_20210109_131917.jpg

IMG_20210109_131942.jpg

IMG_20210109_132005.jpg

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Re: Possible issues. Hard fix?

@Wouldy Love those chairs - great job!

That's a really good looking cabinet, but it does have some pretty harsh scratches and patches. Having said that, if you're prepared for a long session with the electric sander, I think it could come up nicely. I've always wanted to have a go at one of those Art Deco cabinets - I like the combo of dark wood and glass. I've thought about putting some brightly coloured perspex and LED lights in the glass cabinet parts to get a real mix of modern and heritage.

Good luck if you take it on - would love to see the results!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Wouldy ,

Your first attempt was excellent! You are correct when you say that it does start to mount up when you get caught up with the restoration. As much as I would like to say yes to your current choice I suggest to give it a pass as veneer covered furniture is an indication that the wood underneath is not that good. Keep searching for solid timber pieces. I get mine from lifeline and salvo's sometimes simply lifting the furniture tells you immediately that it is made of light timber and not worth restoring. Solid timber does not flake or tear away like veneer covered furniture. If you want your hobby to turn in to your part time business, get more information, read up on timber types and furniture construction. Once you are armed with information your next choice can be made with more certainty and confidence that you can restore it and turn it around for a fantastic sell! Good luck and I look forward to your next project here at Bunnnings Workshop!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@Peggers 

Thank you. I think I did well on the chairs. Learnt a lot. 

Just got news the item sold. Wasn't meant for me. All good. I was still trying to work out some things about it it before buying. I knew there would be a lot of sanding involved. Also you don't always see all the problems. Even in good photos. I learnt that with the chairs. 

Your idea of modern and heritage sounds interesting. Do let me know if you decide to do it. Would love to see how it turns out. 

@redracer01 

Hey red.

Thanks so much for your feedback. It actually sold and can't say I'm disappointed. It would have been a lot of hard work. Thanks also for the feedback on my first project. Bunnings was my second home. Many visits and talking to the teams there. 

Thank you also for teaching me things. It's much appreciated. I have been thinking of doing these things you mentioned too. Can you mention a good book to learn about wood types. Books is how I learn. Less online time. Thank you. 

Hello @Wouldy 

If the lock down ever ends pass by your local library and spend an afternoon in the woodworking section. I learned my first project reading up on coffee table restoration. My first attempt shall we say was less than stellar. I never got the gloss finish on the table correct as I did not read the back of the paint can. You could spend the afternoon on you tube there are endless DIY videos on timber restorations and they often tell you the type of wood they are working on. But nothing beats actual experience, go to furniture stores look underneath at the unfinished and unpainted sections of the bottom of furniture's. Go to second hand furniture stores and look at all the different types of chairs and tables. Make a journey of it! 

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01 

Thanks for your further advice. At this stage I plan to just keep it a hobby. I'm a novice. Books and watching videos works for me. I have other work in my life. I just won't give up on my woodwork though. It's sees me through so many things and I just absolutely love it. Now and then I might do a project for someone. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you join us. 

I'd agree with @redracer01 that a veneered timber is normally a pass for me, especially if it has deteriorated.

We look forward to hearing about your next project, and I'm sure it will turn out as nicely as those chairs. I'll be looking forward to it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the compliment Mitchell. I have two projects to get to. They are my own so I can take my time. Just not able to get to them as too much going on. 

Wouldy. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects