Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Premium grade dressed pine

Salmaninoz
Growing in Experience

Premium grade dressed pine

Hi there I'm making coffee table by using premium grade dressed pine I don't have knowledge about wood can anyone tell me couple of things

1 do I have to sand dressed pine prior stain n varnish

2. What type do stain n varnish best suit the dressed pine

Regards

S mustafa

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Premium grade dressed pine

@Salmaninoz,

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. 

You've certainly come to the right place for help with your coffee table project. Is it the table you just posted on the gallery?

We have lots of keen woodworkers in the community that I'm sure would be happy to lend a hand and provide some advice. Some of our active woodworking experts include @Wayne, @She_Skills, @AndrewJones, @LePallet, @Brad, @Rusty-Saw, @Yorky88 and @woodalwaysworks.

Thanks again for joining us, and please let me know if you ever need any help getting the most from the community. 

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Sanding is just one of those necessary evils for a good finish.

My tips would be -
Work along the grain.
Velcro sanding pads make life so much easier.
Random orbital works best for most things.
Work through the grades of paper. So much easier than trying to do it all on 240 grit.
Dust collection is a good idea.
Right tool for the job my 1/3 sheet sander would struggle on a table top but a 250mm sander would be overkill on the box I am currently making.
If your sanding by hand only some of it applies, you will have my sympathy though.

Quick search of Bunnies gives over 500 options.
You can cut it down a lot if you just want clear.
Pick a gloss level.
Clean up in turps or water.
High gloss finishes show up/off your sanding skills.
I am a fan of spray can finishes on small jobs, larger may have some banding where you overlap the spray.

That is my 2 cents worth.
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Sheet sander would be my choice also, Pine marks easily and will be magnified with stain. I have had small jobs mark easily just from turning over to sand the other side.
Wipe over with mineral spirits this will usually highlight any blemishes.
Wood Working with Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects