Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommended Screws for Mounting Shelves in Cupboard

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Recommended Screws for Mounting Shelves in Cupboard

Hi All

What are your recommendations for mounting screws/bits to install shelves in my cupboard? A bit lost with the range of options available at bunnings. Will be drilling into the back of an existing built in cupboard in a brick home. 

Looking to adding 3 levels of shelves for clothes. Thinking of getting something similar to this from IKEA - https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/boaxel-wardrobe-combination-white-s59384015/

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recommended Screws for Mounting Shelves in Cupboard

Hello @NumeroUno

Thank you for sharing your question about what screws to use for your shelving. Will the backboard of the cabinet be strong enough to hold the weight of the shelves and the items you'll be putting on them? If the backboard is strong enough, I suggest using Zenith Gold Passivated Counter Sunk Timber Screws. The screw length will be based on the thickness of the backboard and steel rail to be attached together.

However, if you're drilling through the backboard into the brick wall, I suggest using Ramset 6 x 75mm Zinc AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor. It has excellent weight holding and gripping power. Please make sure to bring your steel rail with you to make sure the AnkaScrew fits into the mounting hole.

Here is a handy link to the Ramset Brochure: Ramset AnkaScrew

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install masonry fixings

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric     

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Hi EricL, does Bunnings sell backboards?

Hi @NumeroUno,

Apologies for the slow response. Unfortunately @EricL isn't feeling well at the moment and is taking a short break. Let me tag @MitchellMc to assist you when he is back on the site tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

Hi @NumeroUno

Is it exposed brick that you are drilling into, or is there a timber backboard already in place? Let us know what is already there, as you'll likely be able to install the shelving into either. Backboards would typically be fixed into the unit when the built-in wardrobe was constructed. Would you like to cover the exposed brick and retrofit a board in there? If so, take a picture so our helpful members will know what you're working with and be able to assist. Simply gluing a 3mm whitecoat MDF sheet to the wall would be a neat way of covering the brick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects