Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repairing heavily scratched window sill

AuntyAnne
Finding My Feet

Repairing heavily scratched window sill

I would like to ask if there is a way to repair the heavy scratches on my window sill. They are low and have been scratched by my dogs who no longer are allowed in this room. Was thinking to sand back, fill and repaint but not sure what products to use or if it will work. I have included photos below.

Thanks.

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing heavily scratched window sill

Hello @AuntyAnne

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a please sure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your window sill.

I think the dogs were just excited to see you. The damage doesn't seem too severe a bit of sanding and filling in with filler should fix that right up. But before you take any steps, I recommend finding out what kind of paint you have on your window sill. Using a clean rag and some Diggers Methylated Spirits - 1L, dip the rag into the methylated spirits and rub the window sill with the wet part of the rag. If the paint comes off the sill was painted with water-based paint. If it becomes shiny and none of the paint comes off it is an oil-based paint. 

Once you've identified the type of paint, you can now proceed to do the repairs. I recommend Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to sand the surface of the damaged area. There's no need to sand it down to the timber surface, you only need to sand it to the point that there are no shiny surfaces left. Clean the area of dust with a damp rag. Once it's dry and the surface is very rough, you can apply Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler using a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper. Wait for the filler to dry before sanding the window sill one last time.

Chip off a small amount of paint from the window sill, preferably not smaller than a 10 cent coin. Don't forget to repair this part with filler before painting. Bring this paint sample to the paint department and ask them to mix you a batch of paint in the same colour. Give the window sill one last wipe down before you begin painting. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your window sills repaired.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to paint 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much EricL I really appreciate the advice you’ve given. Feeling confident that I can give it a go!

Reach out if you need further assistance or get stuck @AuntyAnne. We're here to help.

Remember to post some pictures of our finished project as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects