Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoration of Chippendale Style Ball and Claw Foot Chair

APEX_Restore
Growing in Experience

Restoration of Chippendale Style Ball and Claw Foot Chair

Mid Restoration of Chippendale Style Ball and Claw Foot ChairMid Restoration of Chippendale Style Ball and Claw Foot Chair
MissionIsta
Getting Established

Re: Restoration Progress

@APEX_Restore --how would you restore the wrought iron chair? I have one that's rusted through and want to repaint it without spending a year stripping it. Any suggestions?

APEX_Restore
Growing in Experience

Re: Restoration Progress

If it's ok, I'll make this an answer in two parts as I don't have much time but I don't want to leave you hanging!

Restoration Process For Wrought Iron (The Quick Way & the Right Way)

First of all, regardless of whether you want to do it the quick way or the right way:

• you need to give the item a really good wash with warm soapy water & hose any soap residue off and let them dry properly (you'll be surprised how much better they'll look for just that!)

Next step also applies whichever path you take (quick or right)

• Take a good stiff wire brush and give the entire surface (even the under side) a thorough scouring. This will remove any flaking paint and will expose any rust or corrosion (if not immediately visible, bubbling paint can hide loads of it so the wire brush should expose any that is there).

No matter which approach you take, if you want a result that is going to last longer than a couple of months, rust or corrosion has to be dealt with and prevented from returning, both of which can be done (in varying degrees) the quick way as well as the right way.

If wanting the "quick" route, continue here, for the "right" way, see below.

Having removed any loose &/or flaking material with the wire brush you'll need to assess the situation but for the sake of explanation, we will assume the wire brush removed all loose or flaking paint and exposed a few rust patches.

•  focusing first on the rust patches, using a smaller stiff wire brush, a small "needle" file and whatever other scrapers and abrasives such as steel wool or sandpaper, remove as much of the rust (the red flaking metal) as possible, taking just those areas as close down to bare metal as you can without making big gouges in the overall surface of the item. Naturally there will be lower patches where the rust was but we'll deal with that soon.
  • Now you have your rust patches down as close to bare metal as you can, you'll apply a Rust Converter, following the manufacturers instructions, CAREFULLY apply the rust converter with a cotton bud being sure to only apply it to the surfaces that you previously removed the paint and rust from. This will convert any remaining rust as well as the top surface of bare metal to a rust-proof coating of a (usually chromium based) different metal via a complex chemical reaction. Once it has dried, you will actually be able to see the layer of new metal the product has created, it is usually grey in colour and will help refill the areas where the rust was so it is closer to sitting level with the rest of the surface of the item.
  • With the rust taken care of, you'll now be left with a patchy and somewhat uneven surface but not to worry, now we use a product like  dulux duramax metal primer spray and spray the entire piece (following instructions) all over with it. This will "Re-surface" both the painted and the now treated rusty areas ready for you to take the final step.
  • Lastly, choosing a rust preventing paint, preferably a spray as they give a better finish in the colour of your choice, repaint the piece, allow a few days to dry and there you have it!

Well folks, that's the quick way!

I'll follow up with the "right way" when I have a little more free time.

I hope that helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects