Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shelving

LaurenJoyce
Just Starting Out

Shelving

Hi There

My husband & I are wanting to install floor to ceiling shelving in our office to store our books.  We love the look of floating shelves but all of the shelves we've seen only have a capcity of 5kg which won't be enough to hold the books.   The wall width is approx 200mm and we would like a white finish.

I'm after suggestions for alternatives that won't break the bank!

Cheers

Lauren

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shelving

Hi @LaurenJoyce,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community.

I trust at least one of our helpful members will have some thoughts for your shelving.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LaurenJoyce,

Apologies, it seems you didn't get a response about your shelving from the community.

Have you found a solution? If not, have you considered engaging a carpenter to build you a bespoke solution?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @LaurenJoyce.

Your post popped up in response to my post about shelving. I see it's been a while since you posted so you've probably finished your shelves. If not, you can use this bracket: https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-100-x-76-x-20mm-adjustable-floating-brackets_p3961804. Otherwise, use some 15mm threaded gal pipe but you'll need to get a back custom made for it (or an entire bracket) if the standard flange (https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-15mm-galvanised-flange_p4700442) isn't to your liking.

My wife & I used the brackets out of a floating shelf kit, dumping the standard melamine/chipboard for a piece hardwood from a timber yard.

Note that you can get 10kg/pair of brackets if you fix into studs (rather than just the plaster wall); I'm assuming your wall is 2m wide (2000mm, not 200) so you should be able to find 4-5 studs at 450mm centres. You'll also need thick timber to take the brackets, maybe something like a clear pine panel that you can rip into 3 pieces each approx 300mm deep--there's also similar thickness in ply. Coat with a stain or two-pack type paint if you want a white finish.

cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects