Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Slim/mini tv stand

KevinMall
Making a Splash

Slim/mini tv stand

here is a photo of a couple of my projects over recent months (3 to be exact).The idea for the tv stand came from another contributor here    @Carol_Prime ....skirting boards and flooring also done though the flooring was a very time consuming task.

IMG_20210326_201913.jpg

KevinMall
Making a Splash

Re: slim/mini tv stand

Apologies upfront,  due to other personal circumstances, I do not have photos of the work in progress.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks so much for sharing @KevinMall! It's always so interesting to see how one person's project can inspire someone else in this community.

Do you have any advice for anyone who is keen to do their flooring?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply and question; A couple of general items:

1. The flooring will always take at least twice as long as as you think it might if not longer. I had planned to do it over 4 weeks and with all the prep work involved ie removing old carpet, cleaning away copious amounts of dust and dirt that alone took 2 weekends if hard slog. Then prepping and levelling the floor (so another 2 weekends) overall it took me 7weeks . I also work full time hence why it took so long.

2. If  you suffer from asthma or respiratory issues (i have a compromised respiratory issue from a major trauma incident 5 yrs ago), get a good filter face mask it may cost $40-$100+ depending on what you get but worth while (for ripping up old carpet ).

3. Depending on flooring and budget go the harder wearing option wherever possible , yes initial outlay may cost more but likely worth it long term (ie over 10+yrs). Thats only relevant if you plan to stay long term of course.

4. You can save yourself some dough by ripping out old carpet yourself with a pry bar and a couple of other basic hand tools.  Then get a professional to install new flooring/ do associated levelling etc (nb. Have that aspect booked/organised beforehandy) doing that will save you at least a couple hundred dollars alone.

5. This last one is subjective, but i ordered an extra 20 percent more flooring to cover mistakes... My train of thought here is, that it's better to have and not need than to need and not have. In the end i am glad i did.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @KevinMall 

That is an excellent TV stand and the floor looks fantastic! If one project inspired you then I'm sure your project will inspire others as well!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you. 

Amazing work, @KevinMall! I love how the TV stand has turned out.

I can't count the number of times I've finished a project and looked back to think I should have taken some images of the progress. In hindsight, progress shots would be nice, but in the heat of the moment when I'm trying to get a job done, taking photographs is the least of my concerns.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell, glad i am not the "lone ranger" on that point hahaha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects