Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Staining silky oak dresser

Marshy
Finding My Feet

Staining silky oak dresser

DSC_0024.JPG

Hi everyone, I'm doing up an old silky oak dresser - I think it's northern silky oak as it was purchased in Nth Qld early 1950's by my late mother. Can anyone please advise what sort of finishes would be best to bring out the natural pattern in the timber? I'm thinking linseed oil, tung oil etc. but any advice would be great.  Thankyou. 

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Staining silky oak dresser

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Marshy. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Are you able to share a photo of the dresser so we can see the pattern in the timber? @MitchellMc will be able to give you some advice when he is back on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

We are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. We have clever and creative members like yourself sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Picture of drawers uploaded

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marshy,

The type of finish is really personal preference as long as you don't choose something with a stain. A stain will alter the colours and potentially even hide them. Recently I have become a fan of the natural look achievable with linseed oil and tung oil. Your timber really has beautiful colours to it already, and I believe simple oiling would bring out the colouring for you. If you have any of the Silky Oak spare, you might like to take it in to see a helpful team member in-store. I'm sure they would be more than happy to try a sample on the timber to help you make your decision.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thanks for the reply. One question though - is it ok to put a clear gloss finish over the top of either the linseed or tung oil or is this even necessary? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oils are considered a finishing coat, and you wouldn't normally apply a clear gloss over them @Marshy. They don't need a finish over them, but they can mark and stain as they are not a hard coating.

If you wanted a clear gloss finish, I would encourage you to have a look at our range of Cabothane. I've used the water-based version several times before as it is a highly durable, hard-wearing and fast-drying varnish. Its low-odour is also a bonus, as my wife is susceptible to the smell of some products.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects