Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The giant house reno: The bedroom

seannami
Building a Reputation

The giant house reno: The bedroom

Hi everyone

Been a while since I updated on the reno project, but I had surgery and have since moved in, so not a lot of time at the moment!

The second room I undertook was the bedroom.

Before:

IMG_20211105_130803_994.jpg

It started out as quite a dim room! The colour was a greyish green and was the same colour for walls, trim and carpet. this shot is after carpet removal, but honestly in the photo it doesn't look much different!

I primed the walls just with British 4-in-1 primer as the nicotine had only really clung to the window> I primed using a Dulux Rapid finish which was a life saver in terms of time and RSI avoidance! Trim was primed with precision maximum adhesion and painted in Taubman's ultimate enamel in Bassinet.

One little hickup was the colour- sampled, chose and bought the paint Sea Angel... then didn't like it before I'd even started! Can't return tinted paint and I hate to waste it, so I tried a two tone effect (getting another load of paint) with what will eventually be a frame-moulded fake wainscoting:

IMG_20211108_194821_981.jpg

I really liked the two tone effect with a white Dado rail, so the final decision was made! Only the rail behind the bed is done so far because I ran out of time. Top of the wall is Taubman's Sky Green. All of my furniture is white, so its not too crazy blue in there!

IMG_20211123_181803_838.jpg

The floors are a hybrid vinyl (very slippy in socks, I have since learned!) and is the same for the study, lounge and bedroom, although there are transitions at the study and hall doors because of alignment and direction issues. They will eventually have bronze transition strips on them.

IMG_20211123_181754_690.jpg

Laying from bedroom to hall was really awkward because it wasn't quite square and I have to contend with several doors. There was a seam in the floor that needed filling as a result, but got a 4-in-1 filler in walnut (can't remember the brand off the top of my head) to cover it- a mahogany may have been better in hindsight. I will need to get a wood repair pen to go over it cause it dried far lighter than I expected.

In the hall where the floor met the tiles I used some bronze edging strip- it only came in 8mm thick and the floor is 5.5, but a couple of whacks with the mallet sorted that out!

IMG_20211123_144812_596.jpg

And so another room is done! One more ready to post before I run out of finished projects and get to start on new ones). I have an excessive amount of paint leftovers, but if I ever get tired of two-tone, I can redo the whole room :cheeky:

Have a good lead up to Christmas, everyone!

Cat

seannami
Building a Reputation

Re: The Giant House Reno: The bedroom

Should also add that the floor in in the process of being quad-trimmed and the gaps around the frames filled, but those are over time jobs!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seannami

Thank you so much for the photo updates. I hope you're feeling better. What a beautiful transformation, I really like the two-tone scheme you've put in there. Is this the master bedroom or just one of the extra bedrooms? Putting that dado as a paint transition piece is really smart. Your flooring looks fantastic, I suggest keeping strips and large offcuts of your hybrid vinyl, they can be used for repair patches. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your next project.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric! It's the master bedroom- its only a two-bed unit so not a lot of space to work with. Thanks for the tip on the floor- I actually over ordered (the warehouse calculator left a very very large amount of wriggle room) so I have enough leftovers to do the entire kitchen one day

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects