Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Untreated Pine for computer desk?

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Untreated Pine for computer desk?

Hi All,

I am a newbie to woodwork and planning to do my first furniture which is a Home Office Computer Table.

Is it fine to use Untreated Pine for this project ?? 

I have just got my Drill and Circular Saw but a lot confused with the Wood as the plan just talks about measurement not about the type of treatment. I am looking at pine as that is the cheaper wood i can afford for this project. 

Also is the benchtop panel [ Finger Jointed Panels ] available in Bunnings an option  for my Desktop?

Any other suggestions or thing to consider for this project.

Rough Plan of the TableRough Plan of the Table

Desk Plan 

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/rustic-x-desk

Thanks,

Rajkumar

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Untreated Pine for Computer Desk ??

The answer to your question is Yes! UT is the reference you need when asking about timber at Bunnings ( untreated timber ) there is structural ( very hard and stiff ) and there is ( non-structural project based which is used for making diy tables and furniture ) Often you will find the untreated timber under the roof and away from the rain. Where treated timber is robust, smelly and can be left in the open weather. Calculate the length of timber you will require and then make sure you have the vehicle to take it with you! Finger jointed pine bench tops are a regular staple at Bunnings. You should find it near the trade area inside the building. Goodluck and have a safe diy adventure. 

Here is a link to the computer table I made.

https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Old-school-computer-table/td-p/22460

I eventually painted it and my wife allowed it in to our new house.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic project @kartheesh. I'm sure there are many people who might need a new desk for their home office at the moment. Perhaps you will inspire some of them when you share the end results with us!

I trust @redracer01's response was very helpful for getting started, but please don't hesitate to post anytime you need assistance with this project or any others around the house and garden in future. As you have already seen, we have a wonderful community of helpful members on the site who are here to share their knowledge and experience. 

I'll hand over to the rest of the community now to share any additional thoughts or tips they might have. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot @redracer01..That gives me the confidence will go to bunnings for the timber today and hopefully start the project this weekend..

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mate will do and you can expect me doing a lot of queries on this and my future plans as well..Its a great feel now that am in to build my Own Furniture :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects