Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled old cabinet found in an Op shop

LorraineJ
Getting Established

Upcycled old cabinet found in an Op shop

1F4F3C98-B454-47F8-B335-B6E26F7D9D85.jpeg

After purchasing this cabinet from the Salvos for $144 (10% discount for seniors) I went ahead and gave it a new lease of life.  This includes adding a back to the shelves, buying extra shelves (cut at Bunnings Torquay) and then painting with Porters paint ‘popcorn’.  New knobs were also purchased from Bunnings to finish off the look. I couldn’t be happier with the result and it looks great in my seaside beach house.  

15D07647-CFC9-4D73-BFA2-652D8C44D0DE.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled old cabinet found in an Op shop

Hi @LorraineJ,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful that you have decided to join and share your upcycled cabinet with us. You'll find the Workshop community to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. You have done such a fantastic job with your upcycle project, you may even see it in our Top Ideas D.I.Y. Projects | Bunnings Workshop section one day. Did you need to remove the existing stain from the cabinet before painting? Did you use a roller brush or hand brush to paint? You have done a flawless job that really brought your beachy style to life. 

Katie 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LorraineJ
Getting Established

Re: Upcycled old cabinet found in an Op shop

Hi Katie, Thank you for your comments.  I just sanded the existing stain lightly to creat a rough surface and then painted over it.  Since I had left over undercoat I used that first before applying the Porters paint.  I discovered a great small roller in Bunnings for painting the shelves and did the majority of painting with this.  This roller has a sleeve to cover it up when not in use which was great, as over a 3 week period I did not need to wash the roller - just seal it in the sleeve for next time.   

Warm regards
Lorraine

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects