Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall mount tv unit

eriktank
Cultivating a Following

Wall mount tv unit

20190907_150833.jpgMade an attempt at my own wall mounted tv unit. 

Reused the glass shelf from the old tv unit, and finished it off with some LED them lighting.

I think it turned out alright👍

20190906_130824.jpg

20190906_153623.jpg

IMG_20190907_154043_471.jpg

20190907_151951.jpg

After....After....

20190907_150833.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall mount tv unit

Hello @jasejw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting the wall tv unit.

Let me tag @eriktank to make them aware of your questions. Using Z hanger brackets is possible, but I would probably check the load rating on it before using it. However, french cleats offer you a secure and safe way of wall mounting a heavy tv cabinet. By using a french cleat you can be sure that the timber piece is attached to a timber stud in the wall. You can add extra screws to make sure that the french cleat is able to take extra weight.

Once you've hooked the cabinet onto the wall you can then add the bugle screws as an extra precaution. To make it even more secure you can do a double french cleat assembly one at the top and one at the bottom so that the weight of the cabinet is totally spread out. 

However, if you wish to mount the cabinet directly onto the wall, you'll need to put something under the cabinet to prop it up while you drill it into the stud of the wall. It can be a milk crate or a custom-built timber stand for the cabinet to sit on while you drill.

Your idea on the washer's purpose is correct. It's meant to spread the weight of the cabinet so that the hex head of the screw does not bite into the timber cabinet. Excessive weight can cause the cabinet to tilt and the first point of failure is the wood around the hex head. A washer will prevent this as it uniformly distributes the weight.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jasejw
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for the response @EricL - what should be the ideal height and depth/thickness of the french cleat timber?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jasejw,

65 x 19mm 2.4m DAR Tasmanian Oak Select would be suitable for your French cleats. You can use 19mm plywood, but the budget-friendly varieties often include knots and defects which are to be avoided when creating cleats.

Do you have a table saw to cut the angle with?

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

jasejw
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc - I only have a ryobi circular saw - 18 teeth and 36 teeth blades. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jasejw

My colleague @MitchellMc's recommendation of using 65 x 19mm 2.4m DAR Tasmanian Oak Select is spot on. A circular saw is adequate for the job. You can set the angle of your saw to 45 degrees to cut the cleat in the timber. I suggest planning out how you will use the saw to rip cut the timber. My number one recommendation is to use the steel guide that came with your saw to make sure you make a straight cut.

In order to hide the french cleat, you can either paint it the same colour as the tv cabinet or place it lower from the line of sight. In this manner,  the cleat will not be noticeable.

Eric

jasejw
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc - can  you direct me to the correct washers for this screw and also wall plugs for this screw. ASsuming there is leftovers I'd like to put some brackets on a brick wall to support some shelves. I imagine 14g are much stronger than 8g decking screws! Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jasejw

If you're screwing into masonry your wall plug's size will be guided by the size of your screw. If you're using Buildex 14-10 x 75mm Zinc Plated Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws 25 Pack, I suggest using Ramset 10 x 80mm Long Anchor RamPlug - 20 Pack. You won't need a washer with a Bugle head screw only with a hex head screw. The same rule applies, if you're using Ramset 10 x 75mm Countersunk Dynabolt Plus Masonry Anchors 

If you have leftovers those screws will be good enough to hold your bracket in a brick wall. If you can provide us with more information about the bracket and what's going on it, we'll be able to give you a better recommendation on what to use.

Eric

jasejw
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL - interesting you say the bugle doesnt need washers but hex head does. The hex head screws seem to have a washer behind the head by default as attached unless I'm misguided. I'll take your advice anyway!

I bought these brackets from Bunnings to hold up a small bookshelf unit which has two shelesv, is 900mm wide and weighs 5kg.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-150-x-200mm-strong-hold-brackets-single-black_p3961606

2022-03-22_11-06-47.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jasejw

Just so there's no confusion about the hex head. I've placed a picture below of the hex head screw that needs a washer. The one you've chosen is perfect as it has the washer integrated into the hex head.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects