Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall mounting TV to plasterboard

shane37
Getting Established

Wall mounting TV to plasterboard

Fixings.pngWould the 25mm blue gripit plasterboard fixes be suitable to wall mount a tv to the plasterboard?

It says they can hold up to 60kg.

I have a 50” tv that weighs 11.5kg and was looking at wall mounting to the plasterboard as the steel studs are not where we would like to mount the tv.

Does anyone know if these have been used for this purpose before? 

Re: wall mounting tv to plaster board

Hi @MitchellMc this looks promising but I'm thinking it might not suit the wall that I have at home. I'd love to know your thoughts on my recent post here: Asking for tips on how to mount a TV | Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks!

Re: wall mounting tv to plaster board

Hi @carpenterson,

My colleague @EricL has responded to your discussion, and his thoughts are similar to mine. Your idea sounds quite reasonable, as attaching a horizontal piece of timber to bridge the gaps between the verticle studs is a common way to provide a secure mounting area. As he's mentioned, at least 65mm screws should be used, and the timber should be around 19mm thick. Typically, you'd attach the timber over the plasterboard, but if you are looking to have the TV mounted as close to the wall as possible, cutting the plasterboard away could be an option.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects