Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What roller to use for texture

Sal2
Finding My Feet

What roller to use for texture

I've just painted a feature wall dark blue. Unfortunately the hole filling repairs that were done beforehand are showing through.  I'd like to add texture or something to the wall so that the repairs don't show.  I'm considering sponging or using a rag roller but don't know if I would need to use a different colour.  Any suggestions? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What roller to use for texture

Hi @Sal2,

Thanks for your question. Let me tag @Peggers, author of How to paint like a professional, to see if he might like to kick off this discussion and share how he would tackle this problem.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

Feel free to let us know whenever you need a hand with a project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@Jason Thanks for tagging me, I always like checking out a painting job.

@Sal2 Is there any chance you could post a picture, so I can see what you're trying to cover. There are definitely different ways to tackle it. I rarely use sponge myself, but you can get some nice effects.

There are a few different ways to tackle it, but it would be great to see the feature wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sal2,

Did you need any help in uploading those images? If we could also get a close-up of the repairs, that would be helpful. We have a few different options in textured rollers to choose from. These will help with covering defects to the walls by pulling peaks of paint up into a texture. I don't see any reason you'd need to change paint colours to use them. If you wanted to create a decorative effect with them, then you could change colours.

Please let me know if you need any help or had questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

So after seeing the wall completely dry and in different lighting,  I've decided I'm the only one who'll know it's there and most of the time I can't see the repairs. 

Thanks for your help,  though.  I have other projects coming up and it's great to know that I can get help here.

Regards,  Sal. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @Sal2. I had a similar issue when recently painting, and now I don't even remember where the spots were. I'm sure that in time you'll also forget about them.

Mitchell

@Sal2 @MitchellMc I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!! :smile:

When I work on a project for a long time, sometimes I can only see the imperfections. I'm waiting for people to see the rough patches that (I think) I can see, and they don't say a word!

Glad it looks good!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects