Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to filling holes in concrete interior walls?

dustbunny228
Finding My Feet

What to use to filling holes in concrete interior walls?

Hello Bunnings community! Just moved into our first home and need to repair a number of holes in the living room wall from the previous owners TV mount installation. The walls are concrete and quite solid, but we intend to mount a feature timber panel and our TV as well, so I want to make sure the holes are filled well and we could drill and secure heavy things into the same spots if needed without worrying! Also first time home owner so this is all very new to me. 

What kind of product/technique would be best for repairing interior concrete before repainting? We have Selleys RapidFilla but I'm told that's not very strong...

Thank you in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to use to filling holes in concrete interior walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dustbunny228. It's amazing that you've decided to join us, and many thanks for your question about filling holes.

Congratulations on your purchase! This must be a very exciting time for you.

You can use Timbermate 500g Concremate Expanding Cement, and it will be far stronger than the plaster filler you have. However, I'd recommend avoiding drilling holes into those same exact spots, and if you need to mount something close to them, simply offset the hole by 10mm or so. The cement filler can be applied with a scraper into the holes, and you can use sandpaper to smooth it off after. You can go over it with the Selley's RapidFilla to blend the repair in with the surrounding area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell really helpful

kel
Making a Splash

hi @dustbunny228 

i have used grout to patch holes in concrete and brickwalls  and it has been very successful,

i work in a commercial kitchen that has a tiled floor,a couple years ago,i regrouted the floor and i had some grout leftover,instead of throwing it out,there was a concrete area out near the coolroom and store room that had a lot of large cracks in the cement,so i filled them up with the leftover grout.2 years down the track ,an area that gets pressured was daily and the grout is still there,also filled large gaps in a 100 yr old brick wall with grout.so perhaps it is a solution to you.

cheers kel

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects