Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of stain would be best to try and match our coffee table to dining table?

Laura_P
Finding My Feet

What type of stain would be best to try and match our coffee table to dining table?

Hey everyone,

We recently purchased a coffee table that came with a fir wood top that is raw & unfinished. We purchased hoping we could stain and seal the top (so it doesn't soak in food and drink) to match to our dining table. Obviously they won't be an exact match but is there a stain colour that would get us closer? The dining table in the background of the picture was recycled messmate that we finished with danish oil.

Thanks so much!

IMG_5657.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of stain would be best to try and match our coffee table to dining table?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Laura_P. It's amazing to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Initially, I'd like to address that the Fir timber has had either a greyed wash aging effect applied to it or it has been aged naturally. I would guess that it is some type of wash effect as aging the timber naturally doesn't really lend itself to mass-producing products. Natural aging causes cracks and distortions in the timber making it hard to finish into a coffee table.

The reason for mentioning this is, in my opinion, that it will be unlikely for you to be able to stain it to achieve something similar to the dining table. It is one thing to stain light coloured timber to match a darker coloured timber but your coffee table is already a darker tone already.

Below I've added a picture of what Douglas Fir would look like in its raw form. It has similar colouring to pine and you could certainly use a "golden" tinted stain to get a close match to the dining table. You might be able to sand back the weathered effect to expose the raw unfinished timber, but obviously there is a certain risk associated with that. I'd recommend you try on the underside of the table if anything.

Let me mention some of our keen woodworkers @woodenwookie, @r23on, @Poppop and @woodalwaysworks who might like to join the discussion on staining timbers.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: What type of stain would be best to try and match our coffee table to dining table?

If you want to have it match as close as possible to the table I would suggest a sand back on the underside first. This would give you a bitter idea where you stand and to select the satin you may want to use. I suggest possible a poly wipe for that thought finish 

Thank you both! We will sand it back to see what they've done with it so far. Is this a poly wipe: https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-1l-satin-wipe-on-poly_p1540455?

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Laura_P,

I believe that is a similar product to what @r23on is mentioning. I'm sure he'll let us know otherwise. Make sure you try the sanding on the underside first. Depending on how far the wash has penetrated sanding might not be an option to remove it.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Laura_P 

Looks like that top has seen a few summers. I suggest a light sand to see how far the seasoning has travelled. If it takes too much to sand down you may have to use integrain timber reviver. To test the results of staining and varnishing turn the top upside down and apply on a small tiny portion of the bottom of  the top to see the possible results. Once you find something you like you can commit to staining the top portion. Let it dry indoors away from the sun. Once the stain/varnish has dried off then you may bring outdoors. Lightly sand and re apply once a year for longevity and protection. Apply extra on feet to protect against water soak in rainy season. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you all so much. Here is a pic where we’ve lightly sanded a section. Looks like we may be able to lighten it a little bit with sanding before we test out staining. 

EE52EE5C-9997-40C7-A6DD-6A20A389B367.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Laura_P,

That's perfect. It will be much easier to find a stain to mimic the dining table starting with that sort of colour. I'd recommend you take your coffee table into a Bunnings store during non-peak hours and speak to one of our helpful team members. If you take a picture of your dining table with you I'm sure the team member would be more than happy to try a little sample of colours on the bottom of the table for you.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi This is the product I was talking about, you can get a gloss as well. The gloss finish does not have as heigh a gloss finish you might think. In both case you use a cloth to wipe on, let dry, then a light sand with 0000 steel wool sand lightly then apply another coat until you get the desired finish. If you decide to sand back, I am probably telling your grandmother how to suck eggs but make sure you sand with the grain other wise it will show up when the stain is applied. Once you finish sanding to clean wipe down with metho to remove all sanding dust. At this point all sanding make left will show up. resend if need, let dry. Do not us water

Enjoy the task ahead

Poppop
Making a Splash

Whether that grey finish is a wash or just weathering, I doubt there's a stain that changes grey into the colour of the dinning table. I'd spend the time sanding it back to raw timber before staining it. I'll add a photo of a wishing well I made out of pine and stained with teak stain. Sort of comes close to the colour you're chasing. However, if you sand the top back to raw you could use Danish oil again and probably get an even closer match.

Polish_20200908_202819618.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects