Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is the paint completely peeling off the plaster?

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

Why is the paint completely peeling off the plaster?

31F56E56-68D3-4C9A-971B-DF56676CBF30.jpeg

Hello! Another post from my whole-house renovation! While removing an old built in robe, some paint peeled and I found I could peel all paint from the entire room, leaving only plaster.

I’m assuming this might be due to the walls never having been primed or possibly a latex or similar paint in the 80s (it feels rubbery). This paint only appears to be like this in the bedroom. Is there any other cause, and is it something to be worried about - or can I rejoice in having a nice plaster base to work from?! 

many thanks,

55C39071-8E64-4DC3-90EB-A5DE5397F473.jpeg

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Re: Why is ny paint completely peeling off the plaster?

Well that's fantastic news Mitchell, thanks!  

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

This one is quite flat. No more paint to peel away after  a light sand I think.This one is quite flat. No more paint to peel away after a light sand I think.You can see that it's ready to peel away more. It's puckered away from the surface.You can see that it's ready to peel away more. It's puckered away from the surface.Good Morning,

I'm repainting my ceiling with Dulux Ultra Air Ceiling White (no Primer).

I have 3 small patches of the existing paint peeling off as I paint.  It looks like there is one coat beneath the top coat and then board (plaster board?). 

I wiped it over with a damp cloth and let it dry first. I have painted 95% of the ceiling with no problem. Just this one corner with 3 patches.

1) What should I do to fix this? 

2) Can I get away with sanding it back with 120 fine grade paper, and if so, do I use Sealer Binder on the board then Dulux Ceiling White?

3) Also, my 2 rollers are still damp and I need to get painting. Is it OK to use them if they're still damp? You can't wring any droplets from them...

Thanks for your help Team!

Liv

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch,

If the edges of the peeling paint are well bound and difficult to continue peeling away, then your method sounds like it will work. Sand the edges of the peeled areas to remove their proudness and blend in a smooth transition. 120-grit might be a little coarse but should work in a pinch. 180-grit is likely in the right ballpark. You can then use the Sealer Binder. Paint it over the board and off onto the existing paint by around 50mm. Once dry, you'll be able to paint with your ceiling white.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Terrific, thanks so much Mitchell. 

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

Re: Why is the paint completely peeling off the plaster?

Hi @MitchellMc & @EricL 

our renovation has moved slowly since we can only work weekends, and we’re finally looking to move in - sans bathroom 🤯 it’s all part of the adventure! 

with the walls above, they’re all patched with rapid fix and I’ve skim coated the white set with Gyprock Top Coat (Gold) which has produced amazing results. I just wanted to check if there was anything else I should do before applying the Dulux 3-in-1 prep / sealer / primer? 

Thanks so much! 

here’s some photos of the before, and then the freshly plastered front entryway

IMG_4223.jpeg

walls 

IMG_1397.jpeg

Hi @SensibleHill,

It's great to hear that things have been progressing. For larger areas of plaster filler, it's recommended to go with the Dulux Precision Sealer Binder, which is an oil-based version, instead of the water-based version, which is better suited to smaller repairs.

Apart from making sure that everything is flat and well-sanded, there's nothing else I can think of.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell!

Honestly, we couldn't have done this renovation without everyones help here on the Workshop! 

Keeping on the topic of paint, plaster and appropriate preparation - once the plaster top coat is painted with oil-based sealer primer, should I then also use the 3-in-1 or go direct into painting with Wash & Wear? 

Edit: you actually advised in your first reply in this thread that YES despite being oil-based, wash and wear can go over the Precision product. Thanks! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects