Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

$0 cost backyard lighting

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

$0 cost backyard lighting

..well more like $28.99 X 2. I'll explain.

20201001_205301.jpg

After some researching and a bit of  trial and error, I found these solar flood lights which I recently installed onto my screen with some handy DIY creativity.

Ongoing cost = $0.00. 

Ambience in backyard = $28.99* !

Created a small platform attached to a screening panel.

20201001_134807.jpg

20201001_152835.jpg

Full brightness on when the sensor is activated. (drops down to low lever light thereafter)

20201001_202402.jpg

20201001_185302.jpg

Placed the other light on the window screen. Very Impressed with the brightness.

20201002_052302.jpg

*Product : Arlec 5W integrated solar powered sensor LED floodlight 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: $0 Cost - Backyard Lighting

Good stuff @diy_hausdesigns.

This area is looking so good. 

Re: $0 Cost - Backyard Lighting

Thanks again @Aussie-Garden 😁

----
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: $0 cost backyard lighting

Fantastic effort @diy_hausdesigns.

That's exactly what I was thinking of and you couldn't have pulled it off better.

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gnicholson
Growing in Experience

Was it October 2020 when you did this? i have not been impressed with garden solar lights in the past only lasted a couple of years. Will be interested how long this lasts and how long it works in winter.

"I have not been impressed with garden solar lights in the past"

Similar experience, but it was quite some time ago - I suspect technology has improved?

The photos above look great!

@gnicholson and @Noyade 

Thanks guys !

I've had some dodgy solar lights before too but these are a stand out for all the good reasons. Solid build and they appear to be a world ahead in quality.

No issues so far, even on cloudy days. Admittedly, my backyard orientation is quite favourable too. But time will tell 🙂

----

Hi team. Interested in something like this. Basically want to mount a light on the wall behind the BBQ to give more light when cooking in the evenings and also light up a fire pit area we're in the middle of doing.

Not sure if solar will work as I want to mount the light directly under the roof eave so looking at this product the solar panel wouldn't actually get exposed to much (if any) direct sunlight.

Do Bunnings sell a similar product but where the solar panel is connected by a wire so that it can be placed in a different position to the light? @MitchellMc @Bunnings 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tony1982,

We certainly do have lights that utilise independent panels connected by wire. These come in both security light and spot/floodlight variants. The spot and floodlight variants would be easier to adapt to your application as they do not need movement to activate. However, I've gone through our range and selected all relevant options.

Security lights:

Spot and floodlights:

Please let me know if you need further information or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tony1982
Building a Reputation

Wow great service thank you @MitchellMc 

Looks like a floodlight might work better as I don't need it to be motion sensitive, it's not for security purposes.

From what I can tell from what you've linked they all seem to have stakes that are put in the ground. Do you know if any of the units come with hardware to be mounted to a wall?

And also I have no idea what brightness to go for. It's mainly for ambiance and to see what I'm cooking on the BBQ, don't want anything too bright as the wall is opposite to my rear neighbor's back yard so don't want anything too intrusive. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects