Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

80 year old D.I.Y.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

80 year old D.I.Y.

29th May 1942.

The first flight of the mighty CAC Boomerang eighty years ago today. Designed and built in a very short period with our backs to the wall.

Certainly one of Australia's finest D.I.Y. moments.

Happy birthday Mr Boomerang! 👍

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_Boomerang

Scan1012.jpg

Scan1011.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: 80 year old D.I.Y.

Hi @Noyade,

This is so cool! I will need to show my husband this post, he has a great love of aviation. Thank you for sharing. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @KatieC 

Apologies for the late response. If your husband has an interest in Australian aviation and what we historically were capable of in the past - may I suggest, for starters, Keith Meggs tomes on the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation.

Make a nice Christmas gift. 👍

20220828_121246.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Love the CAC! Visited the one at RAAF Amberley not too long ago, also one of the planes I purchased in WarThunder (Because Aussie Pride :P)

HBD Boomerang! 🎉

Remarka6le
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the suggestion @Noyade, I think you are spot on for this year's Christmas gift! My husband has always been fond of the Boomerang in terms of Aussie-made but thinks the Caribou is the most interesting because it can fly backward and he's seen it go down the tarmac with just the nose wheel down. 

@Remarka6le we are going to see the Solent Sky Museum in Southampton UK, the home of the Spitfire soon. There will be many WWI and WWII planes to admire! 

Katie 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Absolutely jealous @KatieC! That's right up there on my to-do list with the Kure Maritime Museum in Hiroshima and the Battleship Missouri Memorial in Hawaii.

Remarka6le
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hey @Remarka6le,

We went to the Pearl Harbour museum when we got married in Hawaii and it was SO COOL. Highly recommend! 

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KatieC

I have the National Air and Space Museum including the Smithsonian on my to-do list. 

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

@EricL Same! Though that's more on the list because my wife is a fan of Bones lol 

Remarka6le
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@EricL I'd love to go back to the Smithsonian, I went when I was very little and probably didn't have as much appreciation as I would today. The chance to see the ever-so-cursed Hope Diamond again!

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects