Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any advice on building decking over pavers?

mnczma
Getting Established

Any advice on building decking over pavers?

I have paving in my alfresco and around my house.  I don't like it all all and love decking.  Already have decks for my "She Shed" and pool.

I painted the paving  in my alfresco soem years ago and it didimprove the overall look and feel, but would now like to look at decking. 

However, I hate the paved paths and don't know if low decking over it all would be doable and if it would look good. 

I've included some photos to help with any opinions or ideas other members may have. 

Thanks 😊 

T

20230712_093538.jpg

20230712_093451.jpg

I would have to stop decking somewhere before the side gate, probably at edge of brickwork, due to paving continuing to front driveway. 

16891258554071043543875245596786.jpg

20230712_093518.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Any advice on building decking over pavers?

Hello @mnczma,

Many thanks for your question on building decking on top of your pavers. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL should be online shortly to provide you with his expert opinion on your queries. In the meantime, let me tag experienced Workshop  members @Adam_W@DIY4Knuckleheds and @LePallet to see if they have any thoughts.

While waiting, I suggest having a look at our most popular decking projects our members have contributed for inspiration. Our Featured Projects also contains heaps of decking projects, including Deck and gazebo over existing pavers and Low-level deck over brick pavers which might spark some ideas. 

We'd love to see how you transform your space. Please keep us updated as your project progresses. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any advice on building decking over pavers?

Hello @mnczma 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a low-level deck over your pavers. I personally prefer timber decks as they feel so much better under your feet. I suggest taking some measurements of the area to give you a much more solid idea of how big the deck will be. How far do you want it to go and how high do you want it to be? 

Once you've drawn up some plans, you'll now be able to determine how much material you'll need to construct the deck. A timber deck adds a more natural feel to an area when compared to pavers and masonry. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @Peggers and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects