Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Back deck

RhysN01
Growing in Experience

Back deck

I have just finished building a back deck with my dad and brother.

We built the framework out of steel purlins and beams, and used Queensland Spotted Gum for the decking.

20200102_190920.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Back Deck

Great work @RhysN01, many thanks for sharing. Good to hear that the family pitched in!

What were some of the things you learned during the build that you could share with members who might be tackling a similar project down the track?

Welcome to the community, we're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about other projects and plans soon. We have loads of helpful members sharing information, advice and inspiration on the site every day, so we're sure you'll fit right in. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@RhysN01 Welcome also to the Workshop Community! Fantastic work, that looks great! What did you coat the spotted gum with?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

RhysN01
Growing in Experience

We coated the Spotted Gum with Intergrain Ultradeck, a water based decking oil.

It was given to us by the company where dad works that my uncle owns.

We also sourced the timber from there.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@RhysN01   Your deck looks great, this will be something you will get so much use out of and more so the memories of making it with you dad and bro, super special doing things with family or friends, not only does it lighten the load but as I say to my gals, there is no I in teamwork.  Things go so much faster and better for your health, physically that is..  just love it..

Oh did you oil it or varnish?

Enjoy enjoy enjoy... 

This old gal  :smile:

cadsman
Having an Impact

Good stuff. Termites break their teeth on steel. 😁

RhysN01
Growing in Experience

@Old-gal24 We oiled it with a water based decking oil

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Nicely done. Timber contrasts well with the steel.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
JackR
Finding My Feet

Re: Back deck

Very nice looking job😀

RhysN01
Growing in Experience

Re: Back deck

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects